Rocking GFI Pedals

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bruce Anthony

Rocking GFI Pedals

Post by Bruce Anthony »

I just got a GFI Single Ten. I think I've adjusted the relative heights as good as I'm going to get, but I'm still having trouble getting used to them. They are closer together than my old Sierra's, and I keep touching the wrong pedal with the side of my foot if I don't bend my ankle as far as it'll go. I'm using tennis shoes.

Any suggestions?
:eek:
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

It sounds like the pedals may be too high (overall). Just to experiment, have you tried playing with shoes with a slight heel on them? This simulates lowering your pedals without actually having to make the adjustment.

If you do want to adjust them to how your ankle works, here's my method.

I start with the B-pedal, and set it as low as possible leaving about 1/4" from the floor when it's engaged. You need some clearance for those times you're forced to set up on unholy, unprofessional surfaces (I've played on dirt, gravel, grass, thick-pile carpeting, etc.).

From there, I set the the other two pedals to work comfortably relative to the B-pedal (which is now set in stone).

I set A-pedal such that the following distances are the same: the space between the bottom of my shoe and the pedal I'm hovering over, on these two pedal moves.

Step on B while hovering over A
Step on A while hovering over B

We want to adjust the A-pedal up or down relative to the B so that that the "gap" of clearance under you foot is the same on both of those moves when you're comfortably trying to execute them.

To measure, position your foot and hover, play a string attached to the pedal you're hovering over, then slowing bring your foot down until you just begin to hear the note change -- or until you feel the sole hitting the pedal. Note about how far it was that your foot had to come down, by feel or sound.

Then do the other move, where you move your ankle the opposite way and "measure" that.

You want both of those moves to be equally comfortable. If not, move the A-pedal up or down until you hit the sweet spot where both moves are easy to do. In the end, it usually works out that both pedals bottom out roughly level to the floor. Some people just shoot for that as their metric since it renders a similar result.

I set the C-pedal in a similar way, comparing these two moves:
Step on B while hovering over C
Step on C while hovering over B
Bruce Anthony

Post by Bruce Anthony »

Thanks! I think I've got what you're telling me. I hope. The whole thing gets even more complicated when I use the levers in conjunction with the pedals, of course. But I will endeavor to follow your plan.
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Does your guitar have adjustable knee levers? Check to see if there are small set screws that can change the angle that the levers hang.

Also, it seems most builders mount the levers assuming the player will be sitting somewhere around the 15th fret (rather than near the center of the guitar). If you don't do that, it might be worth trying it out to see how it feels. Your right leg will be pointed straight at the guitar, while your left leg will shooting off at a 45-degree angle to hit the pedals. Pedal height and knee lever angle might have to be adjusted to match the new sitting position.
Bobby D. Jones

Rocking GFI Pedals

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

I play a S12 U GFI. I have found that I must sit to the right of center for proper fit.
My body is centered between 16th and 17th fret. My Right leg goes straight through between the Right Knee levers and sits square on the volume pedal. My Left Leg is at an angle to reach CBA pedals (Day Set Up). Try moving your seat for better alignment with the guitar to see if this will help.

You may need to adjust the pedals also higher or lower to get better fit also.
Good Luck, Comfort means seat time, Seat time helps calm the beast.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

Try playing bare foot or in your socks, if you need a little cushion. A lot of people do. RP
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.