Why Not 1M Pot For Volume Control?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jon Light

Why Not 1M Pot For Volume Control?

Post by Jon Light »

If 500K passes more highs than 250K, why isn't 1MEG even better?
Further: IF the answer has something to do with the taper, then in an application where smooth taper is not essential (this will be a hand operated volume control for setting volume but not for riding the volume), in THIS application, would 1MEG be a good choice vs. 500K?
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Thanks Georg. I am NOT solid with the theory being discussed here (I've never been able to understand the concept of loading. Which does not stop me from heeding the advice of those who know this stuff.)
Thanks for that correction.

The pot will be receiving a signal from a pedalboard with multiple stomp boxes. It will output to the combo amplifier. The output of the steel is buffered by a Freeloader.

The purpose is irrelevant to this discussion but it is to be able to feed distortion FX's with full pedal-down signal and have output level feeding the amp at my fingertips instead of having to tweak little knobs on the devices, on the fly. I am using a little clip-on box I made for this purpose and it is totally good with a 500K pot. I will be building this into the new steel I have on order and I'm trying to figure if something other than then 500K is optimum. I'm fine with no change. Unless it is recommended.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Thank you Georg.
George Kimery

Why not 1 m lot for volume control

Post by George Kimery »

FWIW, my Lehle 90 pedal is 2 meg output, but no pot or moving parts, just a magnet and a sensor. It is brite compared to my 120 pedal. I could not use it with my Evans amp because the Evans is a bright amp to begin with. It worked fine with my Katana and Stereo Steel. I just had to eq the treble down.

I liked the Lehlie and the Evans so much, I was determined to make it work. I consulted with Brad Sarno and he suggested a resistor on my guitar output jack or in a cord, creating a special "Lehlie" cord. We discussed a Black Box as a possible solution. I had one years ago but always regretted selling it, so I was up for that option before trying anything else. Bought one off the forum and it works like a charm with the Evans. I just simply turn the variable Z knob all the way down, to the left. Plus,I have the advantage of the tube buffer. Thanks to Brad, problem solved.