Seeking info on BeJay guitars built by Ben Jack.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brett Habben

Seeking info on BeJay guitars built by Ben Jack.

Post by Brett Habben »

Folks,
Does anyone have any info on BeJay steel guitars, built by Ben Jack? A google search turned up that a factory fire in 1963 ended production. I did a search on this forum and could not find any posts from Ben Jack after 2003 or so. Is he still with us?
I just looked at a double-nine (S.N. 1307)in a store and couldn't help but notice the similarities to Sho-Buds, and was wondering if any of the parts are actually Sho-Bud parts. The headstocks, tuners, necks, pickups, etc. looks like an early Sho-Bud, even sounds like one. It's a great lookin' little museum piece; birds eye maple body and red necks, aluminum end plates with kitchen handles. Someone should do a little history write up on them.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Brett
Carl Williams

Post by Carl Williams »

Brett,
Can't give you specific info on Ben's guitar factory, but you might contact Terry Anderson at the Guitar Center in Fort Smith, Arkansas---Terry Anderson was Ben Jack's partner for many years and may still be to some degree--not sure. The last I heard, Ben was working at his music store in Fayettville, Arkansas. Jerry Roller, who is a well-known steel/dobro player in Fort Smith, could probably shed some light on this subject. Do a search for Jerry on this forum and you could email him for possible info... Carl<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Carl Williams on 25 February 2006 at 06:41 PM.]</p></FONT>