Thad Maxwell?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stu Schulman

Thad Maxwell?

Post by Stu Schulman »

Many years ago when I moved to Texas from New Yawk I met a steel guitar player named Thad Maxwell,Good player,Don't know much about him ,Then a few years after I moved to California and wound up seeing some incarnation of the New Riders,Thad Maxwell on bass,Still never found out anything about him?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Stu, I met Thad once about a year and a half ago and enjoyed hearing his playing at a festival gig. Nice guy. He's living in the the greater Rochester NY area but I don't have his contact info. Not sure whether he follows the forum but if I catch him again I'll mention that you're asking.
Many play better than I do. Nobody has more fun.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Don,Thanks so much,I'm living in the Hudson Valley.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Kevin Quick

Post by Kevin Quick »

I remember someone told he used to work for Mac Davis?
Emmons Resound 65 D10, Zum hybrid, Quilter TT 12 Tone block 202
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Stu, I did a quick search and might be him that lives in Hamlin, NY. 73 years old.

Other search said he played with the John Beland version of the Burritos.
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

The members of Swampwater, from their 71 album of the same name.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I knew Thad when he was in Swampwater and I was living in LA. I'm still in touch with my pal John Beland and I'll bet he knows how to contact Thad. I think Thad became a college professor when he grew up.

Seventy-three would be the correct age for the gentleman.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Hi Herb. Next time you write to John, tell him hi from Chris, formerly with Oliver. I met him and Swampwater guys in, I think, NYC, in the early 70s.

BTW I love your Western swing album! Go it on CD. In fact I play once a month with a similar group here in the Wild West . . .of Southern New England.

Chris
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Chris, why don't you simply "friend" John on FB?

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Because I am not on FB.

Chris
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Chris Brooks wrote:Because I am not on FB.

Chris
That does make sense. ;)

Thad Maxwell

Post by Thad Maxwell »

Hi guys, Thad Maxwell here, just joined. You have me figured out. I remember Chris when Swampwater opened for Oliver at the Bitter End in NYC. Herbie, long time no talk. I'm in Houston now, gigging with Moses Rangel. Mostly guitar, not steel.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Hey Thad!! REAL long time no talk!! I'm gonna PM my contact info and we can reconnect.

Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Hi Thad! Yes, the Bitter End. I remember you and John B. That was, um, a few decades ago.

After the Oliver gig ended, I worked out of Houston for 3 years and played with pianist/composer/educator Paul English, well known about town. You may have run into him. Anyway, good to read your name again.

Herb, I still haven't joined Facebook. 8)
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Thad Maxwell -- just so you know, Stu, who started this post, left us last July, so that's why he's not here to greet you.
Kurt Kowalski

Thad Maxwell

Post by Kurt Kowalski »

Hi Thad!
Great to see you on here. Hope all is well in Houston. We sure miss you around here.
Rein, says hello.
My best to you always,
Kurt
Reinhard Brodesser

Thad Maxwell

Post by Reinhard Brodesser »

I've known Thad for quite a while. He is one of the nicest and most talented people I've ever met . Sure do miss him since he moved to Houston. Miss our playing together.