Lloyd/Jay Dee/Hickory Wind

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Macy

Lloyd/Jay Dee/Hickory Wind

Post by John Macy »

We recently added some vocals (Richie Furay, Bill Lloyd, Jim Lauderdale, Buddy Miller and Kristina Murray) to the "Hickory Wind" track from the "Journey to the Beginning" by Lloyd and Jay Dee record in celebration of Gram Parsons' birthday The video that goes with it appears here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri9z7jr1y-U

You can get a free download of the track by visiting our website and signing up for the mailing list. Please enjoy!

www.coastalbendmusic.com
John Macy
Rockport, TX
Engineer/Producer/Steel Guitar
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Thanks John. Great version of a timeless classic.
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Thanks John, That was great, such a great group of players doing a great version of the classic song. Keep up the great work!
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Carl Williams

Post by Carl Williams »

Appreciate it John...great job by all especially Lloyd and Jay Dee. Carl
Geoff Cline

Post by Geoff Cline »

Great track and video. Thanks for sharing,
Paul Wade

Post by Paul Wade »

wow great job john L.G &JD my fav :D

p.w
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

By the way, we will be drawing a new mailing list members name at the end of the week for a free, limited edition vinyl copy of the record...
John Macy
Rockport, TX
Engineer/Producer/Steel Guitar
John Goux

Post by John Goux »

Fantastic.
Great video and editing of the steels. One thing you don’t get on this instrumental album, is what may be these two players’ forte, accompanying a vocalist.
Nice to hear the vocals and steels mixed so nicely together.
John
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Thanks for the closeup shots of Lloyd's LDG. Looks like he's using a Lawrence humbucker, know which model it is, John Macy?

Also novel were the two pre-roller nut single rollers for strings 4 and 8, I presume those are for defeating hysteresis? I've never seen that on a steel before. That's about 3:335 into the video.

Nice job on that!

Anyone know how to edit the metadata on the downloaded new track in order to get it into my iPod as part of the original CD's songs? I know I can make a playlist, but would like it to fall in with the others in that CD and genre if possible.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

John McClung wrote:Thanks for the closeup shots of Lloyd's LDG. Looks like he's using a Lawrence humbucker, know which model it is, John Macy?
Lloyd has been using a BL710 for a long time in his Sho-Bud LDG
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

John, I don't think those rollers are there for hysteresis (but I've been wrong before... ). Lloyd doesn't lower 4 so there wouldn't be an issue there.
Larry Weaver

Post by Larry Weaver »

Awesome stuff! Thanks for posting it John and making the track available.
William Liemandt

Post by William Liemandt »

Fantastic song and video. I absolutely love it and thank you John Macy for posting.I bought a couple of CD's for myself and my brother.

I am particularly interested by those intermediate E string roller nuts for strings 4 and 8. I've never seen or heard of anything like that before. Something similar (?) is familiar to me on Fender six string guitars, but on a pedal steel? Do they serve the same purpose as a string tree on a tele or strat? For string angle alteration? Does anyone know any of the history on these? Did Lloyd Green use these back in the day or is this a newer development? Why are they there (???) and what purpose do they serve? Most intriguing and anxiously awaiting an answer to this question.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

really lovely version, and a great tribute to Grams original version Geez, Guys in their 60's and 70's still singing like 25 year olds.. Will Furay EVER get old?..
Will that astounding voice EVER start to weaken and crack, or go out of tune?? I doubt it.. He sounds like he did in 1969.
Never heard of the young lady, but looked her up, and I guess I am just not aware of whats happening out there any more.She sang simply beautiful harmony. Steel playing was perfect, big surprise there , right?.. Thanks for sharing this, I really enjoyed it... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Wow, that is awesome!!!! Thanks for all your efforts, John!

Kind Regards, Walter