A few pictures from ShoBud and FanFare in Nashville - 1973

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Lawrence

A few pictures from ShoBud and FanFare in Nashville - 1973

Post by Bob Lawrence »

The following pictures were taken at Fan Fare Nashville in 1973 by my dad (Fred Lawrence, Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada). His comments are included.

ShoBud Pro Series Pedal Steel Guitar: this was the prototype of the ShoBud Pro series guitars, which I understand to be their first attempt at an All Pull Guitar.

Dwayne Marrs worked on the development . He told me (at the time) that they were trying to duplicate the MSA All Pull mechanics without infringing on the copyright

Picture #1 this is me (Fred Lawrence) trying out the during its development stage.

Picture #2 this is some kid(name unknown) how came in while I was there and Dwayne(standing next to the guitar) asked him to try out the guitar. He was quite a good player.

Pictures 3 & 4: This is Jim Webb trying some changes that Dwayne had just made and asked for his opinion.

ShoBud Pictures:

Picture # 1:

Picture 2:

Picture 4:
Last edited by Bob Lawrence on 7 Nov 2018 6:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Franklin D10, Telonics (E9)True Tone(C6) pickups, Fender Steel King , Evans (FET 500LV), Nashville 400, Quilter MicroBlock 45 amp's, Telonics FP100 volume pedal, PodXT(effects only), Boss RV3(delay & reverb),Steel Guitar Black Box,Bill Lawrence cables, Walker Seat,Peterson Flip Tuner, IVL Steel Rider, IK Multimedia IRig Pro DUO for recording.
Bob Lawrence

FanFare Pictures - 1973

Post by Bob Lawrence »

FanFare Pictures - 1973

Curly Chalker:

Julian Tharpe:

Cousin Jody:

Russ Hicks, Don Rich: (Hugh X Lewis Club - Printers Alley - 1973:

Ernest Tubb(Don Helms on Steel):

Lloyd Green:

Jeff Newman:

Hal Rugg:
Last edited by Bob Lawrence on 7 Nov 2018 6:36 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Franklin D10, Telonics (E9)True Tone(C6) pickups, Fender Steel King , Evans (FET 500LV), Nashville 400, Quilter MicroBlock 45 amp's, Telonics FP100 volume pedal, PodXT(effects only), Boss RV3(delay & reverb),Steel Guitar Black Box,Bill Lawrence cables, Walker Seat,Peterson Flip Tuner, IVL Steel Rider, IK Multimedia IRig Pro DUO for recording.
Carl Kilmer

Post by Carl Kilmer »

Bob, looks like they've vanished.
aka "Lucky Kay"--Custom built Rittenberry SD10 3X5, Walker S/S, NV-112, and Hilton Pedal
Bob Lawrence

Post by Bob Lawrence »

Sorry, I can only put them up one at a time and it will take a while :)
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

Thanks for those pics, Bob. I especially like seeing your Dad, Freddie, because a year later I bought my first double 10 guitar from Fred as I toured the maritimes. Fred was also the spittin’ image of steeler Hal Walls whom I met years later. Apparently Freddie was mistaken for Hal by Curly Chalker and treated like an old friend. Hope Fred’s doing well.
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Thanks for posting those picks from yesteryear.
Julian T. reminds me of that actor who played the villain in "No Country For Old Men".
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Sho~Bud had an all pull guitar long before 1973. :whoa:
Erv
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Yup, the fingertip! That was around 1964, I believe, and everything after that was all-pull...if it was a pro model. They continued to use the pull/release system for all the student models, though, AFAIK.