Foot Pedal Question - 6th string

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

TravisWright

Post by TravisWright »

I bought a used Desert Rose from the forum. Love the guitar, and have enjoyed playing it.

I just changed strings for the first time and put on Ernie Ball Nickel Wound Strings.

The 6th string - G# is having a lot of issues after the string change. It is a 22 wound

The B Pedal is not pulling the G# all the way up to an A. I don't have any issues with the 3rd string G#.

When I tighten the nylon on the end to get it where it needs to be, it will also bring the actual string sharper as well. So anything I do to tighten the change is offset b/c the actual string is tuning as well.

The G# whole step lower on the Franklin pedal is NOWHERE close now either.

I never had any issues with either of these before changing strings.

I'm still a bit of a newbie with playing, and definitely not the handiest from a mechanical standpoint.

Any recommendations? Would this be easily fixed by changing the string gauge for this string? Outside of that, what can I do?

Thanks!
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

You almost certainly need a PLAIN 6th string, based on the description of your problem. It requires less travel than does a wound. The guitar was rodded assuming a plain string...

Or, if you're like me and prefer the tuning stability of the wound 6th, you'll need to move the pull rod to a different slot on the bellcrank. Report back if you want to do that and I'll advise.
TravisWright

Post by TravisWright »

Thank you!

I'm gonna go with the easy route on this and find a NON wound string.

Does gauge matter as much as wound?

I see that D'Addario has a non-wound thats .20 instead of .22.

I'm open to any other suggestions for string manufacturers.

Thanks again!
Dave Meis

Post by Dave Meis »

Increase the throw of the B pedal (stop screw) so it travels far enough to raise string 6, then readjust your string 3 pull. See the sticky at the top of this page titled 'overtuning an all pull guitar'. Hope this helps...
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

My suggestion would be since you the guitar has a Franklin Pedal on it too, I would get a Plain .020 6th string and replace the Wound 6th string.
If you choose to go with the Wound string it may take readjusting the raise and lower both on the 6th string. Could turn into a job of more than you want to tackle.
The use of the Plain or Wound 6th string Is a personal choice. Another choice like (Emmons or Day pedal and lever set up). Be sure to check when buying strings that you get the 6th string your steel is set up to use.
And Good Luck and back to Happy Steelin.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Almost everyone uses a .020 plain string these days. Some older guitars and student models (including the Carter Starter) work better with a .022 wound. Your Desert Rose isn't one of those.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

There are several reasons a player might want to change from plain to wound 6th string. But 'by accident' shouldn't be one of them. Definitely change back to the plain 20. Save learning the ins and outs of rerodding the pull and making all the other necessary changes to the pull train for a rainy day. These are great things to learn, they are definitely things you can do yourself, with good understanding, but right now you just want your Desert Rose (a nice and simple guitar to work on) up & running.
And btw, every single thing that you described is exactly what one would expect from this inadvertent plain-to-wound string change.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

b0b wrote:Almost everyone uses a .020 plain string these days. Some older guitars and student models (including the Carter Starter) work better with a .022 wound. Your Desert Rose isn't one of those.
I'm one of the old codgers that has always used a .022 plain. I've tried .020 (and can use them if need be), but I prefer the heavier string. I like how it cuts through and I use the 4 notes on the 6th string (F#, G, G# and A) in melody solo stuff. The .020 gets lost in the mix.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
TravisWright

Post by TravisWright »

What brand of string is recommended for a .20 6th string?

I’ve also always had a .10 on the 3rd string and it seems like most sets are .11 to .12