Jackson Browne with Greg Leisz

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jamie Howze

Jackson Browne with Greg Leisz

Post by Jamie Howze »

Mr. Browne played a great show here in Boise on July 20th. Of course I went to see Greg as much (or more, yeah more) as Mr. Browne. Greg played mostly lap steel, but also six string guitar and pedal steel. If you want to hear someone who completely captures David Lindley's touch, tone and style, look no further than Greg. He was simply perfect on all the old tunes. I don't know if the licks were copied exactly or not, but that's not the point, his playing was a work of art to behold.

Interestingly enough Browne's guitarist Val McCallum (David "Illya Kuryakin" and NCIS's "Ducky" McCallum's son) has perfected Lindley's guitar style to a "T" as well.

Greg played six string guitar on some of the newer tunes and played in his own more free form style. He played pedal steel on a couple of tunes notably the finale where he got an extended ride that was lots of fun.

I love Greg's playing anyway, but seeing him live both copying a great player's style and doing his own thing gave me a whole new perspective on his skills.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Jackson and Greg as a duo was the headliner at one of the stages at San Francisco's Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 2016. A lot of the sets at this huge annual festival are filmed and then you can find them in the festival's website archives for your viewing pleasure but unfortunately this one wasn't. There are some audience videos of the day on YouTube but then they are well - audience cellphone videos.

If you haven't seen the one linked below it's very good - closeup video of Jackson and Greg doing my favorite Zevon song, Lawyers, Guns & Money.

This is in Bill Asher's booth at NAMM 2017 in Anaheim.

Greg is playing an Asher Ben Harper Signature model with a custom finish, not the usual sunburst. The guitar sounds great and it's a fine example of his tasty playing. A lot of time in a group situation Greg can be pretty subtle, but in a duo he has more room to cut loose and go for it.

Speaking of Val McCallum, son of David and the late actress Julie Ireland - he's a serious guitar picker - I love what he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pvKay40ur8
Mark
Norman Evans

Post by Norman Evans »

Here's a nice video of Greg with Bill Frisell doing I Can't Help If I'm Still In Love With You.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YefeUachncA
Steve Hotra

Post by Steve Hotra »

Norman Evans wrote:Here's a nice video of Greg with Bill Frisell doing I Can't Help If I'm Still In Love With You.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YefeUachncA
Very nice!

Thanks for sharing!
Guitars: Rittenberry SD S-10, Gretsch Black Falcon. Effects: Wampler Paisley, Strymon Timeline, Sarno Earth Drive.
Fractal FM9
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.