Note duration

Q&A about PGMusic's popular accompaniment software

Moderator: David Collins

Bill McCloskey

Note duration

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Lets say on Beat one, measure one I want a quarter note C and a half note E.

I can't seem to get the two notes to have two different durations. I've tried editing the note and setting the duration of the E to Two beats. But the notation and play back still keep them both at quarter notes.

Any suggestions?

Example: how to get the whole notes to remain whole notes and the quarter notes to remain quarter notes in measure two:

Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Could the problem be because you're in 4/4 and a quarter note plus a half note equals only 3 beats, so it's looking for a quarter note rest somewhere and, not finding one, it makes stuff up? Just a guess...
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Hey Jim,

I don't think that is it. In the example above, in the second measure, you have the whole note chord and the quarter note melody line. On the first beat, I can make all the notes quarter notes, or all the notes whole notes, but i can't get the melody note to be a quarter note and the rest be whole notes. If I continue the melody in quarter notes, as soon as I make the second beat a quarter note, all the notes on the first beat become quarter notes. Can't find any literature on it. it is vexing.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

BIAB doesn't lend its notation feature to ~> Divisi writing,
so your best workaround may be to write the simultaneous
notes of similar duration into the Melody Track and then
move that over into the Soloist Track then return to the
now-vacant Melody Track and write the notes of different
duration(s).
~Rw