Moderator: Ricky Davis

Ron Sodos

C6th tab for Smile

Post by Ron Sodos »

Old song by Charlie Chaplin
Anybody?
Steve Cattermole

Post by Steve Cattermole »

Hi Ron,I don't have tab for the song,but I can guide you through it.I play it in the key of C.The first 5 bars are C6 and Cmaj7 ,you'll find the melody with the 7th pedal on and off at the open position.Then 1 bar of ebdim (open with ped 5&6 and 3rd string lower on and off for the melody),then Dm (5th fret open),then A7(4th fret pedal 6),then Dm and Fm and so on. I hope this helps you get started on the song.I don't put my bar on the strings until the first Dm(bar 7) Good Luck,Steve Catt
Ron Sodos

Thank you

Post by Ron Sodos »

I had most of that figured out on my own.question. the A minor to C at the end of the first time around doesn't sound right to me. Can you tell me what pedals you use there?
Steve Cattermole

I'm playing a 2-/5/1 there.I don't play a Am in the song ever.The chords I got from BIAB are 5 bars C,1 bar Ebdim,1 bar Dm,1 bar A7,2 bars Dm,1 bar Fm,1 bar Bb9,2 bars C,1 bar Dm,1 bar G7, repeat. Do you play with both feet? Do you have a C-C# lever? I'm only asking because I do both of those in that song. Jim Cohen has a You Tube video on 2m/5/1 that might help,it's really great.I hope the chord change helps you find the melody. Catt ps.If you can try ped 5 & C-C# at the 3rd fret and then on and off pedal 7 with you're right foot,I get some of the melody that way,but I'm sure there are many easier ways. Good Luck
Paul Miles

Smile

Post by Paul Miles »

I don't tab out but here's my simple attempt at this tune on my lap steel A 13th no slants - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czNYNMpvDYw
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Ron -

Found my old tab (on even older BE tab paper !!)
You might glean something from this tab.

By the way, this is a great song for learning C6th chord locations.

(sorry for the scribbles)

Ron

Ron Sodos

Thank you

Post by Ron Sodos »

I will work with it. i figured out most of it on my own but this might help me fill in the blanks.
Ron
Steve Cattermole

hi Ron,I just reworked Smile,and I did learn that there is a A7#5 chord that gives you some of the melody right around where you were having trouble,Hope it helps
Ron Sodos

How do I play a A7#5

Post by Ron Sodos »

What pedals please.
Thank Ron
Bill Galvan

C6 Smile

Post by Bill Galvan »

Ron: Check your P.M.'s
Steve Cattermole

The A7#5 is at fret 4 with pedal 6 and C-C# lever or at fret 7 with pedal 5 and A-Bb lever.There are other ways to play that chord.Check out Herb Steiners website,he shows how to play all kinds of chords on C6