Anyone know where to find this MSA part or substitute?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

G. Robertson

Anyone know where to find this MSA part or substitute?

Post by G. Robertson »

The pic shows the part off an MSA Pro Am SIDEKICK S10 that the rods attach to opposite the changer end. (Thumb pick is for scale.) That's one broken one and one intact one. Is there a generic hardware name for that threaded part with the flat tab on one end? Nothing like it at Home Depot that I can find. I'd be happy to buy one (or two) if any of you good people have any spares. Or if you could direct me to a hardware source for them I'd be very grateful! I'm fixing the guitar up for a friend who wants to sell it.

George Duncan Sypert

Post by George Duncan Sypert »

It has been a long time since I had an MSA that used those parts. Mine used to break off frequently and they will if the threaded part is too far out of the cross rod.

When I broke one, I went to the local hardware store and bought some that were the correct thread size. I don't remember exactly how or which ones I bought to make the flat part with the hole but I found some. Took a hammer and made the flat part, drilled it to the correct size and reinstalled it in the cross rod.

I have no idea where you would find one of those stock unless an MSA owner from that time frame had some extras or ones they had removed from their guitar.

I bought mine in 1969 and MSA changed the entire underneath configuration shorty after that and I do mean shorty. For the past 49 years I have wished I had waited a few more months to purchase my first custom built pedal steel. Better yet, still had my original Fender 400 and 1000. I always like the tone of those two guitars.

You might try an Ace Hardware store for some parts you could make work for you. Good luck.

George
Ronald Heinzel

Post by Ronald Heinzel »

They look similar to the hangers for suspended ceilings. I would think Ace or True Value stores will have it.
Good luck
Emmons D10 LL, Mullen S-10 Quilter Steelaire Nashville 112, Gretsch White Falcon, USA Strat & Tele, 68 Hummingbird, Taylor 410 CE, AcoustasonicJr. Blues Jr.
Edward Rhea

Post by Edward Rhea »

I’ll agree with Ronald, they’re called “acoustical toggle bolts” and most any good hardware store, can have them. Best to ya!
“TONESNOB”
G. Robertson

Post by G. Robertson »

Love this Forum! I count my blessings that b0b walks the Earth and provides this meeting place - as should we all.
Problem solved in one hour! Thanks Edward, Ronald and George.
Ronald Heinzel

Post by Ronald Heinzel »

:D
Emmons D10 LL, Mullen S-10 Quilter Steelaire Nashville 112, Gretsch White Falcon, USA Strat & Tele, 68 Hummingbird, Taylor 410 CE, AcoustasonicJr. Blues Jr.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Look on mcmaster-carr website.
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
G. Robertson

Post by G. Robertson »

Thanks, Bill. Great source!
Gary Spaeth

Post by Gary Spaeth »

grand piano agraffes look like that. try a piano tuner or store.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I remember old wooden screen doors having a rod with flat ends attached at a 45 degree angle to help support the door. The rod had a turnbuckle in the center. May be able to find something similar and thred the rod. Or buy a round rod heat and flatten the end and drill it to size. Thread the rod as needed. Good luck.
Jerry Jones

Post by Jerry Jones »

Google "spade bolts" and you might find a source.
Jerry Jones
Dave A Galloway

Post by Dave A Galloway »

You can search "thumb screws" most places have them such as Home Depot ' Lowes, etc. drill it and grind off the lobes and you should be good to go!
Zum StageOne
My personal homebuilt SD10
1976 MSA Classic
G. Robertson

Post by G. Robertson »

Thanks again everyone. They are indeed those 'acoustic toggle bolts' used to hang panel ceiling frames. MSA just cut off the long bolt to make the shorty with the drilled flag that the rod hooks into. Cheap and efficient, much like the whole Pro Am SIDEKICK itself. You'd think they could have flipped for adjustable, screw-in legs vs the hole-drilled-in-the-wood-frame with thumbscrews to hold them in. But no....