Jackson steel guitar

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ron Hogan

Jackson steel guitar

Post by Ron Hogan »

I was at Steel Guitar Nashville yesterday and got to see this Jackson steel. First one I've checked out. Really nice in all ways. Mechanics are great and not run of the mill. Great action and tone. It's used but like it's never been played. $3,000.00

Colin Swinney

Post by Colin Swinney »

Looks like a real fine machine. I can't quite tell, is the pickup mounted on a diagonal? What would the purpose of that be?
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

One of the better guitars I've played. The jacksons really think out of the box.
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

David Ball

Post by David Ball »

My Pro IV is an absolutely wonderful guitar. It plays great, and it's by far the best sounding instrument I've ever had. It seems like it's impossible to get a bad tone out of it out of any amp, any speaker and at any place up and down the neck. A super Sho-Bud to be sure. It's got a real nice bite to it. Oh yeah, it looks great too.

I think that a lot of the Jackson's tone (at least on mine) comes from the changer--although the pickup is first rate. The fingers have a small diameter (maybe 5/8") sitting on a big steel axle (1/2" or so)--a lot like the old permanents. I really like the sound of thin aluminum sitting on top of pretty thick steel on a changer. Seems like the extra mass of the heavy steel axle combined with the "taming" effect of the aluminum is pretty magic. As I recall, that's along the line of what Ron Lashley decided on the Emmons guitars too.

Dave
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I play a Blackjack Custom and it's the best pedal steel I play! I thought about getting a BlackJack but then I sat down behind a BlackJack Custom and loved it! The Jackson BlackJack is a pro model steel. When the Jackson Steel Guitar Company was looking for a name for the guitar, they first thought about calling it the Renegade, but Dawn Jackson thought BlackJack sounded better, so they went with Jackson BlackJack. The sound is similar to a 1960s Sho-Bud.

Brett, Jackson Blackjack Custom, Gretsch G9210 Boxcar Dobro
Billy Carr
Restricted

Psg

Post by Billy Carr »

What's the guitar body made of with the BlackJack S-10.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Colin Swinney wrote:Looks like a real fine machine. I can't quite tell, is the pickup mounted on a diagonal? What would the purpose of that be?
That could be to brighten the tone of the lower strings. Common practice on regular 6-strings I think.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
mtulbert

Post by mtulbert »

The pickup is mounted on a movable bracket so you can adjust the angle of the pickup to tune in your tone. At least that is what I think this is. I saw this on a prototype at Dallas a couple of years ago. Really great concept.
Mark T

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Mtulburt your 100 % right
Bruce Green

Jackson Blackjack

Post by Bruce Green »

I am the proud owner of a 2008 Jackson Blackjack and it's definitely the smoothest playing steel I've owned so far. I also owned a twin ZB 1967 model & 1973 Emmons SD 6x2 which I still have.
The Blackjack does not break strings. I haven't broken one one in 14 years. I am certain it is due to the whole construction design and smoothness of it's mechanisms. Bruce Green Melbourne Australia