A unique new pair of instruments....

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Steve Lipsey

A unique new pair of instruments....

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Two Bonhams...my new matched set of Style 3.5 Weissenborn and Style 3 Tricone from Ben Bonham, Hood River OR (bensound@gorge.net).
Tricone is myrtle and rosewood, made to National Style 3 proportions, and has a completely hollow neck, Weissenborn is black acacia and a thousand-year-old Doug Fir top and exactly matches a 1927 he recently restored...he makes the binding used on both (different woods on each). They sound delicious! Give him a call at (541) 490-5447 - he loves to discuss what he could make...
And now that I have these, everything else is gone...the pedal steels, banjos, guitars, lap steels, other resos..I have enough trouble deciding which of these two to play, don't need anything else....
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Allan Haley

Post by Allan Haley »

Couple of beauts!
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

"And now that I have these, everything else is gone...the pedal steels, banjos, guitars, lap steels, other resos..I have enough trouble deciding which of these two to play, don't need anything else...."

LOL: who are you kidding.

I expect these beautiful instruments to be offered for sale within a year. We are birds of a feather my friend. Never kid a kidder. :)

All seriousness: beautiful instruments Steven. Enjoy them.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Gorgeous. If they sound half as good as they look, you've been dealt a pair of aces. Congratulations on your acquisitions. Mr. Bohnam's work is indeed impressive.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Thanks for the comments...I'm over the top with happy about these...

Bonham makes fine furniture when he isn't making instruments or playing gigs (he's a monster jazz/blues/whatever player)...he does do good work.

They do sound as good as they look...

And his prices are still relatively quite low - he's said that he is going to raise them, if any of you are interested, check him out soon!

Bill-
You and I discovered each other just as I had discovered tricones...so I did spend a year or two figuring out what I really wanted, which, out here in the Northwest, means buying a bunch of things and then selling them as you learn...nowhere to go to just try stuff out...this time I had him build just what I hear in my head! But yeah, as you say, time will tell..
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Todd Clinesmith

Post by Todd Clinesmith »

Ben is good friend and a great craftsman. His instruments are excellent in tone, and his individual artistic style is awesome. His heart is into what he is doing, and that's one thing that separates factories from artisans . '
Allen Hutchison

Congrats!

Post by Allen Hutchison »

Very beautiful & big congrats Steve.
Would love to hear them sometime. :mrgreen:
Andy DePaule

Both are beautiful

Post by Andy DePaule »

Both are beautiful, but is the Tri-Cone Oregon Figured Myrtle with Claro Black Walnut parts? Looks like that to me...
Sure you'll enjoy these for quite some time to come. :D
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Tricone is all myrtle with rosewood. binding is two other woods whose names I don't remember...
Mike A Holland

Post by Mike A Holland »

If looks are to go by this pair are definite winners. I am sure they will sound as good as they look. Great catch Steve.......I am wishing you all the best with these instruments. Mike
Joe Elk

Post by Joe Elk »

Such Craftsmanship!!!
Joe Elk Central Ohio
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Congratulations Steve on to sweet instruments enjoy.
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

Absolutely stunning! Good catch.
Excel D10 8&4, Supro 8, Regal resonator, Peavey Powerslide, homemade lap 12(a work in progress)
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Thanks for all your kind comments, folks...