Buddy Cages's new steel?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chris Forbes

Buddy Cages's new steel?

Post by Chris Forbes »

I seem to remember hearing that someone was building Mr. Cage an absolute beast of a new guitar. Did that ever get finished and can anyone in the know give the details (or even better, anybody got pics!?!?!?)?
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I believe it was Jerry Fessenden building it and I'd like to see & hear about the beast too. Something like D-18 with 27 pedals, 37 knee levers. Or something.
Sure do wonder where on earth the Hilt is sitting right now. That's a puzzler.
Chris Forbes

Post by Chris Forbes »

You got that right Jon, how on earth is the jerk that stole it going to sell such a one-of-a-kind instrument? It also breaks my heart that someone's tools that they used to make a living were stolen. That just ain't right.
JB Arnold

Post by JB Arnold »

It's a mica D-12 with 10 and 14-just like the HILT. I just got an email from Jerry saying he's working on the undercarriage now. Gonna be a real marvel of an axe!

JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Fessenden D-10 8&8
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

http://www.nrpsmusic.com/index.html

John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Gotta love a guy who likes challenges like Jerry does--the man's fearless Image
Chris Forbes

Post by Chris Forbes »

10 & 14?!?!?!?! Wooooooooo doggy!!!! Image
John Sluszny

Post by John Sluszny »

You mean 10 pedals & 14 knee levers???Is that enough???Easily expandable? Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by John Sluszny on 08 August 2005 at 12:27 PM.]</p></FONT>
Earl Foote

Post by Earl Foote »

He can always move on to a more advanced model later on ...
Dave Baldwin

Post by Dave Baldwin »

and i got problems with 3@4 dave
JB Arnold

Post by JB Arnold »

Ya know, the thing is he actually uses 'em all too.....

JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Fessenden D-10 8&8
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.buddycage.net

Steve Frost

Post by Steve Frost »

I'd sure be gratified to see some pictures, when they're available. Sounds like quite a guitar!
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Pictures!!!yes, pictures!!!

Bill
Jon Zimmerman

Post by Jon Zimmerman »

JB, have not seen Buddy play in a while; is it called 'Panama Shred' now?
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

I'm Buddy's BIGGEST fan, so there is NO disrespect here AT ALL.. but man, a 10+14 D 12???.. Can anyone say overkill?... If Jerry can set that thing up to play nicely, and with nice ergonomics, he is truly a genious. I don't think I would want to move it around!

I wonder if all 14 levers will always be down, or if some will be "special" changes,only used in certain songs/situations??... In any case, Buddy will sound great on it as always!

He always used a double neck steel, but unless I'm unaware of something he's done with it,I never heard much of him playing the C6 neck.. anyone know of any C6 from Buddy's body of work??/ bob
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 11 August 2005 at 08:35 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jon Zimmerman

Post by Jon Zimmerman »

I think I answered my own question, JB, after reading the interview w/BC -Great Stuff, -he has not lost a step, still a dynamo, --and HISTORY..I'd forgotten all about Brian Ahern, Amos G, even the Festival Express! Where has I been? Raising kids instead of the dickens. Well, getting off-topic here, day job beckons--I'll catch up later.
Like to see that new Fess when avail, too. Thanks, JZ
Ron Castle

Post by Ron Castle »

I don't know about recordings but I heard him play c6 w Vassar Clemmins a few yrs back. Sounded mighty good.
Mark Herrick

Post by Mark Herrick »

When I lived in New York I caught a few of his gigs in town. One time he leaned his guitar over to show me all the levers. That was a pretty incredible sight. I've got 4 levers on my SD-10 and I can barely use 3 of them...

------------------

Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

Needless to say, the right person can do a whole lot with a little, but when it comes to the pedal steel I say it's totally Buddy's right to follow his own path. The only real problem I can see is the weight of such a beast...but then again, he could be a B3 player. Image

I have a D12 10+6 Dekley myself, and one thing I've noticed is that by having the 2 extra strings on each neck, it seems like kind of a waste not to have pedals and KL's that can do cool pulls on the added strings.

On my axe the KL's work both necks, but if I had my druthers I'd have seperate Left Knee clusters like I'm sure Buddy has on his.

BTW, when I first heard about Buddy's steel getting ripped off, I felt so bad for him that the thought crossed my mind to sell my steel to him, but my son soon talked me out of it. I've since realized that the D12 a big part of my own personal direction on the steel guitar, even though I still use my old Shobud 8+2 on most gigs.

Can't wait to see pics of Buddy's new axe here on the forum!!! Image
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I've got 8 levers on my S-12 (and 7 pedals) and I truly use them all (didn't say need them all) and am always considering further expansion. I could see 9 levers, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15. But 14? That's just plain weird.
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

Check out "Thank the Day" on the Panama Red (NRPS) album to hear Buddy playing C6.

Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Buddy's setup and mine are almost the same. In fact, Jerry Fessenden called me a couple weeks ago to get knee lever placement measurements from my Dekley. Buddy's copedant is here: http://www.buddycage.net/tech/copedant/index.htm

------------------
Jim Smith jimsmith94@comcast.net
-=Dekley D-12 10&12=-
-=Fessenden D-12 9&9=-
-=Emmons D-12 push pull 9&9=-
Stereo Steel rig w/Boss GX-700
IVL SteelRider w/JV-1080

JB Arnold

Post by JB Arnold »

Cage plays more C6th than he lets on. As you can see here:

That's Cage, Garcia, Ian, Sylvia, Jim Cosgrove, and Delany Bramlett during Festival Express.

Fundraising is currently still going on privately-we'll let everyone know when it's done and we'll get some pix up.
JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Fessenden D-10 8&8
www.buddycage.net

David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Isn't that somebody from Jefferson Airplane in the back behind Delany?
Like mebe Paul Kantner.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 11 August 2005 at 11:02 PM.]</p></FONT>
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Hello David,
That person in the back, who looks like Jack Casady from the Jefferson Airplane, is actually Bonnie Bramlett...I believe.
Can't wait to see a picture of Buddy's new Fessy.
Duncan
Brian Herder

Post by Brian Herder »

Jerry Garcia is playing George Harrison's rosewood Tele in that picture. Just an interesting observation. Well, I think it's interesting.