Grounding a lap steel

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Waltz

Grounding a lap steel

Post by Steve Waltz »

I need to open my home made lap steel up to add a ground wire to the output jack. It's a single coil pickup. If I use a star ground system is there any downside to attaching an additional ground to the key head? I understand that the strings will ground to the bridge and key head anyway but is there any possibility that noise might choose the path of the key head ground rather than through the stings and over and maybe into the pickup?

I channel my neck so there is already an easy route from key head to output jack.

Thanks,
Steve
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

I would say just try it and see. You can always pull it off again. There is a theoretical chance that the loop would add hum, but there might be a benefit in trying it. If nothing else, we'll learn something. Please let us know the results.
Excel D10 8&4, Supro 8, Regal resonator, Peavey Powerslide, homemade lap 12(a work in progress)
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

I agree in theory, George, but a ground loop's sensitivity in this case corresponds to the surface area enclosed by the loop, which is pretty small here. If it were me, I'd just try it to see what if any effect it has. There might be some other effect going on like reduced cnnection resistance which could be beneficial. Electrically, it wouldn't be much different from one of the strings, which are already loops, just steel instead of copper.
Excel D10 8&4, Supro 8, Regal resonator, Peavey Powerslide, homemade lap 12(a work in progress)
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

Yes exactly. Different story if it were a power circuit.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

I run a ground on all my rescue guitars from the jack to the underside of the bridge. Without exception, they're all quiet as a church mouse.
Steve Waltz

Post by Steve Waltz »

Thanks for the input. I thought the star grounding system would avoid a ground loop. I think I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Thanks
Steve Waltz

Post by Steve Waltz »

Got it. Thanks,
Steve
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

If you are already grounded through the bridge adding a tuning peg ground "sort of" creates a ground loop, but only in name. The "path" to the guitar's ground connection is unchanged and there are no active circuits involved.

But what it does add is a very large antenna to pick up all sorts of interference.

It can help to add shielding in the control and/or pickup cavity as long as it's all connected to ground, but additional grounding at the tuning keys is counter-productive.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Doesn't grounding the bridge automatically ground the tuning keys?
Steve Waltz

Post by Steve Waltz »

I get how the normal grounding is done and I'll do that. My question was more about being curious of other options. Kind of like this question:
"But what it does add is a very large antenna to pick up all sorts of interference."

Since the keyhead is grounded by all of the strings now, how would adding one additional wire inside the neck now cause a very large antenna? Aren't the strings an antenna now?

I assume it because of grounding at both ends which now makes the strings an antenna where they weren't when they were only grounded at one end?

Just curious, not debating.

Thanks,
Steve