George Sherrard

best spray to clean the volume pots on the nashvile 400

Post by George Sherrard »

George sherrard
Lyle Dent

Pot cleaner

Post by Lyle Dent »

Peavey Funk-out.
Rittenberry Prestige SD-12,Mullen G2 SD-12 ,Mullen PRP S-12 BMI S-12 V8 octal, BJS Bars, LiveSteelStrings,Steelers Choice Seat.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

First - DO NOT use anything labeled "cleaner" alone.

"Contact cleaner" by itself will destroy pots. Pots have lubricating oils in them that have to be maintained. Anything you use must be a "cleaner lubricant" meant for use on pots.

Many techs I know use Caig Deoxit D5 followed by Deoxit Pro Gold. Both work well, but the D5 is a slightly better cleaner and Pro Gold is a better product for long-term protection. Deoxit F5 "Fader" cleaner/ lube is also excellent. Many of us use the D5 because it has a wider range of uses

FWIW a small aerosol can of D5 runs about $15-20, which seems expensive compared to other things out there. But so little is needed that it's a lot cheaper in the long run.

And DON'T ever use WD-40, even in a pinch. It's a terrible, contamination-filled product product for electronics.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
George Sherrard

george sherrard Eh

Post by George Sherrard »

thank you so much for the great info
my amp is almost as old as I am lol
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

I used the Caig DeOxit / ProGold recipe on all the pots on one of my old ShoBud amps recently. The amp was unusable, but after several liberal sprays of the DeOxit while working the knobs back and forth the old amp came back to life nearly perfectly! These pots had fairly large access holes so it was a simple matter to do it.
Terry Lovett

Post by Terry Lovett »

I've been using CAIG Laboratories' Deoxit D100 in the shop for many years and it works; I believe all their products are probably good but, some have a specifically targeted application that should be noted. The D100 will not damage the conductive plastic pots as well and lubricates. I use it on all pots on the bench....so I can recommend this one. It's not inexpensive but, it will last quite a while....one or two shots at the most and work the wiper back and forth
Last edited by Terry Lovett on 5 Jan 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Things can work,but not as well as they might if your thinking had been better" - J. Williams, MIT
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Try this after you use a cleaner, lubricate.

CRC 2-26

ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7