Advise on my first possible steel purchase

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Shane Turner

Advise on my first possible steel purchase

Post by Shane Turner »

Is this a good price(1800$) for a professional sho bud? It's from a pawn shop in Nashville. Debating on buying a first steel. I'd hate to buy something that needs more work to set up than needed. But I know the brand is a gem. Thanks.
Charlie Thompson

Post by Charlie Thompson »

Looks like it was ridden hard. Is it rack and barrel? A center under carriage pic would help
Shane Turner

Post by Shane Turner »

I have no other pictures. But If she was ridden hard close to 2 large is probably too much for a playable unit I take it?
Derrick Unger

Seen Better

Post by Derrick Unger »

My opinion for what its worth is you could do much..much better on the forum !!!!
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112
Jason Putnam

Post by Jason Putnam »

Overpriced for the condition. I’ve seen a ldg in very good condition go for that price. Be patient and buy something you know is good. There is nothing more discouraging than dropping a bunch of money on an instrument that you always have to repair.
1967 Emmons Bolt On, 1974 ShoBud Pro 1 3x5,Nashville 112, Quilter TT-12, JOYO Digital Delay, Goodrich Volume Pedal, Livesteel Strings
Ron Spears

Post by Ron Spears »

I looked at this guitar today in Antioc. It's rough. Needs to be stripped down and cleaned. End plates need polishing. $1800 is way too much! You should be able to find a much better Sho-bud for that.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

changer fingers probably need to be replaced, you can tell by the look of the C6 pick up guitar was played a lot, so fingers are more then likely worn out... also something is not right with 9th string on E9 neck... just looking at those couple pix you can tell that guitar needs to be rebuilt, probably around $1500 job , unless you can do it yourself...
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

Shane,
You should jump on this Carter that is in new shape. Not mine but it should sell for more then it is. Great guitars. Also, Damir has some good ones on here.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=323217

Ron Hogan
Charlie Thompson

Post by Charlie Thompson »

If its your first steel you may want to look at a single neck E-9 (S-10 or or maybe SD-10) That would generally be less $. My only advise there would be to do the your best to get a pro model. As mentioned previously this forum is an excellent resource.
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

Shane,
Here is another quality guitar for under 2k.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=322484

Single neck that will keep you busy for years.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=322484
Kent Viles

starter steel

Post by Kent Viles »

Here's another idea, great steel for a good price, E9, good starting point. Thanks.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=323095
steve takacs

Post by steve takacs »

Here is a GFI with a bunch of extras. Extras included free of charge are volume pedal, boss digital tuner, bar, picks,cords, and instruction materials for beginning players! $1275 plus shipping.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=322940
Kevin Fix

Advice!!!!

Post by Kevin Fix »

Leave it where it is!!!!!!! Better guitars for the price on the forum..
Sidney Ralph Penton

psg

Post by Sidney Ralph Penton »

if it was me i would get one off the forum and you don't need a double neck you should work on the E9th first and get it down then work on the C6th i will be picking up my carter sd10 on monday for $1600
steve takacs

Post by steve takacs »

I agree with Ron, that D10 Carter is a deal. Great guitar and includes a vilume pedal. I would not shy away from a double neck. You may use the C6 at some point. If not, you can sell this steel for roughly what you paid for it. Stevet
Tommy Wallace

Post by Tommy Wallace »

Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

All great suggestion here from our Brothers.
Stan Schober

Post by Stan Schober »

I paid $1200 for the same model in MUCH better shape (with a brand new case and the ORIGINAL pickups)

Much better deals to be had here on the forum.
Emmons S-8 P/P,DeArmond 40. Slowly drifting back towards sanity.
Shane Turner

Post by Shane Turner »

Thanks everyone for helping me here! Keep posting and I'll definitely be buying something very soon. That Carter has my eye I do believe..
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

Sho-Buds are built to last and this is a good price but there does some to be some repair needed, as others have said.

I would also go with something newer and not a student model. that Carter is a great deal on a superb instrument. have you been to Steel Guitars of Nashville?

some guys are happy playing E9 exclusively, but depending on what you're into you might want to start with a double-neck, or possibly a universal 12-string.
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

I concur with everybody else ju clan do a lot better.
Pat Moore

new steel

Post by Pat Moore »

Shane,
Just my 2 cents worth.
That Carter that L.M. English has for sale will keep you busy for years, and give you the opportunity to learn both necks. Great price too, INCLUDING the volume pedal! A real beauty to boot!
He's a good man to deal with as well.
FWIW
Pat
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Well it looks to be a Professional or early Pro 2, underside photo's and changer tuning end will define exactly what it is. You need to know.

You need to know is it 8 Pedals and 1 Knee lever, 2 knee levers, 3, 4 ? There are also several extra holes in the body, which means this guitar has been around the block. But then again it is near 50 years old. It didn't make 50 years without a few tear downs especially if it was a working mans guitar.

either way at $1800 it's right at the top of the money for its condition, but thats not a deal killer. These guitars come apart very easily, clean up well and are easy to bring back to top notch playing shape.

THEN, what you have is a tone monster.

Personally I would be in at around $1300 max for the Steel, after seeing the rest of the Instrument in photo's of course.

Case is also important, add $100 for another if it's in poor shape.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
John Jardin

First PSG

Post by John Jardin »

Shane,
25 years ago, I bought my first PSG an Emmons PP.
I tried to self teach thru books but gave up after 10 year and sold it.
Now 15 years later, I first looked for a teacher and found one in Don Sulesky in Hernando. With advise from Don and Howard Steinberg, I bought a single neck E9 (Martin Weenick). Their advise was to go with a newer guitar and thats what I did.
Even though it was a 15 year break, I still had a good feel for 2 and 3 string grips and my lessons with Don have given me lots of motivation to play well.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

A pawnshop is NOT the place to buy a used steel guitar.It's extremely doubtful anyone in that store knows anything about pedal steel,and if someone did,would they have any motivation to make sure it was right before trying to unload it? Not that a clapped-out professional guitar can't be zero-timed,it just takes a big checkbook and a considerable amount of a skilled builder's time.From the OP's pics,it looks like that guitar got rode hard as a New York City police car.IMO there are much better alternatives.