Fender FS-52

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mel Taylor

Fender FS-52

Post by Mel Taylor »

I hope I am posting this in the right place but I just need some education on a Fender. I found a Fender FS-52 6 string for sale. The ad says that it is a re-issue. Can someone tell me if that means it is an authentic Fender? Thanks in advance for any help. Mel
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Mel, Yes, it's a Fender product, an Asian made reissue of a 52 Fender, but unfortunately it's a cheaply made, nothing like the original Fenders. It has a Strat style pickup, not a string-through pickup like the original. Some players have upgraded them with better pickups and like them. Do a Forum search and you'll find several threads from around 2007, mostly negative, about the FS-52. I think Fender discontinued this lap steel.
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

The fretboard on those have a mirrored finish. I'm not sure about the experience of anyone else, but I found it to be a very annoying feature.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Jim Hoock

Fs-52

Post by Jim Hoock »

Hi Mel...I have one that was given to me as my first lap steel. Yeah, it is cheap. It sounds cheap. But, for practice...mine rides around in my car, cold, hot, bouncing around on rough roads...it stays in tune like a real...Fender.
Fender FS-52
1960 Fender Deluxe 8
2014 GeorgeBoards S8 Koa
1968 D8 Stringmaster
Randall, Fender, Crate
Working my way thru the Jerry Byrd Instruction
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

One of my students had an FS-52 a few years ago. I played it and it felt like a cheap toy, and the sound was thin and shrill. Yes, if you're looking for a cheap beater, go for it. Just don't pay too much for it. :|
Mel Taylor

Fender FS-52

Post by Mel Taylor »

Thanks guys for your responses they have been very helpful. I already have a very cheaply made 6 string that I purchased a couple of years ago and I also purchased Doug's books and backing tracks to learn C6 tuning. I know that Fender is well known for it's tone so I was hoping this one would fit the bill. I have decided to pass on buying this one.