Removing LeGrande SKH tuning keys

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Butch Pytko

Removing LeGrande SKH tuning keys

Post by Butch Pytko »

I've done a search on cleaning the tuning keys when they are apart to see if I can stop them from slipping/sticking, etc. If that doesn't work I'll get new tuners. On my SKH it looks like I can get numbers 2 to 9 off with my standard 7/16" open-end wrench, but I won't be able to fit the wrench around numbers 1 and 10 on both necks--not enough space. How are you guys getting these off? Using a socket? If that's the case, my standard 7/16" socket won't fit--it looks like I'll have to get a deep socket, because of the long shaft. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bobby D. Jones

Removing Garrand HSR Keys

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

That looks like a 3 piece key head, Nut Roller, front and Back rails. Check underneath the guitar. You may only have to remover about 4 or 6 screws and remove the rails and you can work on them a lot easier. It could be dangerous as to damaging the finish if you try to remove the keys in place. Just a thought to not damage the finish.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Are you sure they're 7/16? most of these things are 3/8 or 10mm.

I use Craftsman ignition wrenches on these. They come in a set of sae or metric or both, I guess long as Sears is still in business.

I see what you mean...it does look close there but the box end of the 10mm fits all of my guitars.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

The tuner nuts (if these are Sperzels, most likely bushings)should not be overly tight. You might try using the open end of the wrench perpendicular to the nuts. A quarter turn to loosen them should be sufficient, then remove with your fingers.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

They are Sperzels. Take your wrench to the grinder and grind it until it fits. I just tried different wrenchs on my SKH. 7/16" it is. Just about all the bushings I've ever dealt with are 10mm, but not these. RP
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Graham Bland

Emmons SKH

Post by Graham Bland »

Hey Butch,

Just curious-what is the serial number on your guitar or what year is it from?
Butch Pytko

Post by Butch Pytko »

My LeGrande year is 1983 #043L.

I'd like to show some info that I couldn't find in my search about the tuning keys, etc.
Here's a photo of where the key head bolts would be on the D-10:

Two people recommended that I take off the key heads to avoid possible damage, so I took off the E9th key head, so far. It is easy to get to the lock nuts, either from the top or from the bottom, with the key heads off the guitar. I discovered that the round enclosed 7/16" wrench end fits over the nuts nicely, even on the 4 keys that are close to the roller bridge.

I'm struggling to get 7 worm gear shafts out, they won't budge, and I'm afaid of damaging the gears inside. I managed to get 3 out, of the 10 keys. I'm wondering if that's a sign I should just get new keys. I still have the C6th key head to deal with. Any suggestions?
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

You should be able to fennes them out of there. Newer models of Sperzels were designed to put the spindles in either way making the same parts either be a lefty or a righty.
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Butch Pytko

Post by Butch Pytko »

Well, I suppose I can keep struggling with them. I just re-read some of my saved info on taking the Sperzels apart by others that have tried, and they're saying some may and some may not come apart. Further, the one's that do come partially apart--about 1/16" to 1/8"--all you can do is clean the best you can, relub, and close them back up.
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

Put the stuck ones in some solventt like mineral spirits and soke them a bit. The grease they put in older Sperzels gets dry and kinda hardens over time, so after the soak 30 min take one by one and start gently turn and work them you may have to take a small screwdriver or similar to help breakup the grease and dig it out. They should clean up nicely . Inspect each component for damage, put them back together after you work some lube in each gear piecce,( I use a silicone grease filled with PTFE,should be lifetime stuff. PS you can't buy it as I made it from Dow silicone vacuum grease mixed with PTFE nano dust all fom Ebay.Barring any bad gears they will work as good as new for your lifetime.
Bobby D. Jones

Removing Legrande SKH keys

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Glad you found the screws and removed the keys heads to make for easier and safer removal of the keys. A soak in some solovent like mineral spirits or Kanokroil. It sounds like the grease about 35 years old and dried out. A soak and putting the tuner Bean back on and turning them once the grease is softened may help. Good Luck on this project and back to Happy Steelin.