Newbie Sho~Bud owner (feel-good post)

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Niclas Nilsson

Newbie Sho~Bud owner (feel-good post)

Post by Niclas Nilsson »

This is my first post. I’d just like to express my gratitude to you guys and gals on this wonderful forum.

I bought CrowBear’s old Professional a couple of months ago, and I love this guitar. CrowBear was real nice to do business with, he made this deal a pleasure, and the guitar was everything he said it would be. Thanks, buddy!

FWIW, coming from someone with my limited experience, this guitar sounds great and it looks great! and the rack and barrel undercarriage really makes sense to me, it’s kind of “primitive”, I guess, a bit on the noisy side, but real easy to understand and to change around. I like it. Now, if it hadn’t been for all you great forumites, and Ricky Davis in particular, I might not have had the nerve to jump on this one. So, Thank you!

Ricky Davis. Your generosity sharing your knowledge about these guitars is so great. I can’t begin to tell you how much I’ve learned about this instrument from reading your posts. You’ve, unknowingly, guided me through a pretty thorough cleaning of this particular Sho~Bud; barrels, rods, fingers, axle, and so on. I took everything out, cleaned it, polished it, and lubricated it. And now it plays even better than when I got it, and I have a much better understanding of what makes it tick. Now, if I could only play it...

Niclas
Jeppe Grangaard

Post by Jeppe Grangaard »

Velkomna Niclas
I experienced it myself, it is the perfect forum to get close to an otherwise "mysteriously" difficult instrument. Without the forum it would be very hard to approach just the basic outline stuff, for us newly "captured".
It is also nice though to know that you can get this "open" attitude from someone very close to you in Scandinavia and Europe. The likes of Dag Wolf, fantastic player, and there’s a lot of players in Norway. Per Berner in Sweden, (he’s indeed very knowledgeable; A Ricky Davis of Scandinavia) check him out. The super player Torben Koch and a very helpful Henning Kock in Denmark. Crowbear, the "european bOb", I hope he realizes himself how important he is to the steel community of Europe. Hope to hear a lot of you! Jeppe
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Welcome Niclas,
I agree with your kind words about Ricky Davis! He has helped many, many of us with our Sho~ Bud questions! I myself have e-mailed him countless times about my Pro II and my Pro III and everytime he is helpful,
patient,and knowledgable! At first I thought" Ricky Davis is sure nice to me" now
I see that Ricky Davis is nice to everybody!
I voted for Ricky for "Man Of The Year" and would again! BTW, fellow Forumite Crowbear has helped many folks as well and I allways look forward to his comments as well. Enjoy your "new" BUD.
Best Regards,
Larry

------------------
Sho-Bud ProII, Pro III custom,
Fender Steelking,Hilton pedal,Tut Taylor "Virginian"

Jan Jonsson

Post by Jan Jonsson »

Hej Niclas,

Welcome to the Sho-Bud owner's club. I'm also a newbie as I got my first Sho-Bud (a Pro II Custom) in September last year. It had been refurbished and setup by the magic hands of Ricky Davis when I picked it up in Austin so I've had nothing but fun for the last six months.

Hope to meet you and your Sho-Bud someday.

-- Jan

------------------
Sho-Bud Pro II Custom 8/4, Fender Stringmaster S-8, Fender CS Nocaster

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jan Jonsson on 12 March 2005 at 04:05 PM.]</p></FONT>
Donald Dunlavey

Post by Donald Dunlavey »

Hi Niclas, Welcome to the Forum and the Sho-Bud owners club. I have an early Professional and 76 Pro ll. The Professional I picked out, the Pro ll Ricky Davis guided me with my puchase. Ricky and Crowbear are both indeed assets to the Forum and willing to help most any time. That Professinal has a Fat tone Huh? I've Played several Steels since getting back into it, and there's somethin bout the sound of a Bud. IIIII like it. Good luck on your new journey. Don Dunlavey

------------------
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

You guys are making me "Blush"..ha...but put all that aside....
I am so tickled and proud that you all gone Sho-bud...that is what makes it all worth while.
If I know something or figured something out or learned something...>I love to share; as that is what my Mom and Dad taught me to do.
Now go get'um
Ricky
Niclas Nilsson

Post by Niclas Nilsson »

Well Ricky, your Mom and Dad obviously taught you real good.

Thank you all for your nice welcomes. Jeppe for pointing me towards some players around here. Actually, Dag Wolf thought I should buy a Zum from him. Ha! Image Seriously though, I've heard so much good about the Zum, but I have a thing for nice wood and vintage instruments. And this Sho~Bud sure fits that bill. It's so cool, and, yes Don, that tone is Fat & Sweet, sometimes there's a tear in my eye when I hit a "power chord" around the 5th or so fret (strings 6, 8 & 10) with a slow vibrato, that sound transcends even my limited playing skills. And I really enjoy tinkering with it, I'm expecting a few small parts from Duane Marrs any day now. I'm gonna add a couple of changes, and adjust the feel stop, to make it more distinct. And so on... Image

Ricky Davis for "Man Of The Year"? YES! He is to me, anyway...

Niclas
(Oh, and it smells great too! I'm not a weirdo, it really does. Image The smell of history, I guess.)
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Welcome to the forum, Niclas - you'll like it!

Nice to see more Swedish Sho-Bud players - I wonder how many of us there are?
--------------------
Emmons Legrande II D10 8+5, Sho-Bud Pro III Custom SD10 4+5, Peavey Nashville 1000
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Hi Niclas & Welcome to this Great Forum Image
glad to see you made it over here
you'll have a heck of time explaining to your family that you've found a second home

i'm very happy knowin' that my ShoBud found a compassionate soul tortured in takin' up the steel guitar
i sold my Bud so i could invest in a new Zum
but i must admit havin' a Bud soft spot.
i'm sure just about everybody has had a ShoBud at one time or another

hey guys, you're makin' me blush too

yep Ricky D, he da man !

Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Hey Crowbear, what happened to the pair of knees in your signature? Not enough forumites with a sense of humor and a feel for word games? Image

--------------------
Emmons Legrande II D10 8+5, Sho-Bud Pro III Custom SD10 4+5, Peavey Nashville 1000
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

welcome Niklas. I have had my 74 Sho-Bud for one year now. Without the generous sharing of this forum I would be lost.
thanks to all.

here's a pic . sorry it is a little large.

Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">b0b reduced picture size</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by b0b on 13 March 2005 at 11:26 AM.]</p></FONT>
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 16 March 2005 at 01:15 PM.]</p></FONT>