Emmons anodized levers

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Doug Jones

Emmons anodized levers

Post by Doug Jones »

I've noticed on my 2 Emmons that some of the once black anodized knee levers are taking on a purplish hue as the black seems to be wearing off.

Any ideas on how to restore these? Short of pulling out the old flat black rattle can, I'm hoping to find some options.

Thanks, - DJ -
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

Magic Marker hides small scratches, also works on fretboards.
Jack Goodson

Knee levers?

Post by Jack Goodson »

I took them off both my d/10 pp's sanded them and polished, it all depends on which you like, but once you do that all you have to do is polish them once in a while....thanks jack
Robert Parent

Post by Robert Parent »

If you are looking for perfection there are two choices: Polish them as mentioned above, or find a shop that anodizes and have them re-anodized. I have never found a paint that does not wear off in a short time and then you have parts which really look bad.

The marker idea works for a short time but without the disadvantages of paint. The marker can also be removed with thinner should you not like the result.

Robert
Alan Simon

Post by Alan Simon »

The problem with black magic marker is it looks purple against a black surface.
I restored a Mullen PRP Universal 12 awhile back and the levers and foot pedals turned purple from black just like yours. I had to sand the anodize off and polish them. No easy task I might add.
Thanks, Alan
Jim Schatz

Post by Jim Schatz »

Maybe you could try powder coating. Seems to be pretty tough stuff. Just a thought.Jim
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

It is a normal thing, I've seen it a million times, but never cared enough about it to worry about...
Bobby D. Jones

Emmons anodized levers

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Check with local Motorcycle shops. Many have contacts for chroming, anodizing, and special coatings for protecting and beautifying parts.
Also some boat repair places have contacts for anodizing boat and motor parts.

Craft store India Ink is a true black. Works good for small scratches. Coat the scratch with India Ink, let dry then coat with paste wax to protect the ink.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

it's also called "patina". Unless they are really scratched or dinged it's part of the history of the guitar.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Never paid any attention until I read this and mine are sorta purple too. Not really noticeable.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Guess, I've been lucky. Haven't been busted by the knee lever inspector. But guess it's just a matter of time. :(

b.