RIP Larry Coryell

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Jim Cohen

RIP Larry Coryell

Post by Jim Cohen »

Sorry to be the bearer of sad news but LC has passed at the young age of 73. I had the good fortune to meet him a few years ago after a concert of his and when I told him I played jazz PSG, his whole face lit up and he said, "You mean like Buddy Emmons?? I love his playing!" That's when my face lit up too. :)

RIP, Larry Coryell, one of the founding fathers of fusion.

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2 ... dies-at-73

Last edited by Jim Cohen on 20 Feb 2017 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

Dang.

RIP Mr. Coryell
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Wow. I met Larry just a month ago at the NAMM show. He didn't look sick at all.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

Saw Larry back in 1978 or 1979 at the Bijou Cafe in Philly. Good show, great technique.

RIP Larry.
Four Pettingills and a Clinesmith Aluminum. Fender Blues Junior. Quilter Mini-101.
steve takacs

Post by steve takacs »

Oh man, not another one.....
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

I'm very sad about this :(
John Hopkin

very sad...

Post by John Hopkin »

i first saw him in '67 at the jazz festival in austin...he was playing with gary burton's (vibes) brand new quartet...he was 23--gary was 24...steve swallow on bass...gary had left stan getz to form his fusion group...gary and larry had really long hair, which was ok for rockers at the time but not so much for jazz crowd..the announcer who introduced them warned the audience not to judge them by their looks, which everyone did anyway...a few boos when the curtain came up..of course, they were just great...gary killed on a 10-minute solo performance of "misty"...all of the guys went on to separate stellar careers (gary with a 40-year partnership with chick corea) and eventually came full circle to record with gary again at some point...larry has a son, murali, who is a great guitarist in his own right...i bought his first CD and then haven't heard too much about him...larry was a great technician and instructor...he will be missed immensely...
...honk if you've never seen an uzi fired out of a car window...

Mullen RP, MSA, Sho-Bud Pro II, Yamaha keyboards, MalletKat vibes
Gary Cooper

Larry

Post by Gary Cooper »

Chet Atkins was a huge fan of Larry.
GFI Ultra SD-10; Nashville 112; Hilton pedal, George L Cables; Pearse bar; Live Stings;Walker seat by Billy Knowles.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Man, too young! What a loss.

A few years back a bass player and drummer I know were playing a local jazz gig in D.C. and a guy came up to the stage and asked if he could sit in. They weren't too sure about letting a stranger sit in until he said "I'm Larry Coryell". He sat in for a couple of sets.