Distance from strings to pickup?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Sims

Distance from strings to pickup?

Post by John Sims »

What should be the minimum or maximum distance from the the string to the top of the pickup? Is the closest you can get the best (without the string hitting the pickup) ?

------------------
Regards,

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

My PSG website-Carter SD-12-U, 8p/5k, Nashville 1000

jerry wallace

Post by jerry wallace »

John, closer is not always "better"..Most pickups do best about 1/8" thats about 2 quarters if you have some pocket change, on the 1st string and about 3/16" thats about 3 quarters on the 10th or for you, the 12th string.

The additional space under the 12th is due to the wound string being looser and moving much more than the 1st.

------------------
Jerry Wallace/TrueTone pickups-2001 Zum: D-10,8+6, "98 Zum: D-10,8+8,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Session 400 head only amp,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico
http://www.jerrywallacemusic.com

John Sims

Post by John Sims »

Thanks Jerry...I have noticed an increase in the highs since I "centered" the pickup under the respective strings, and raised it. I eyeballed it, and just now tried the "50 cent" adjustment, and was right on! Thanks Image

------------------
Regards,

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

My PSG website-Carter SD-12-U, 8p/5k, Nashville 1000

Mike Winter

Post by Mike Winter »

John -- I assume the principle would be the same as on a Telecaster, or any electric. On a regular electric guitar set-up, the proper distance has to do with the electromagnetic field that is above each pole on the pickup. The string should be in a certain spot within the field in order to get the best tone, etc. Too high and/or too low is not optimum. Make sense? Image
Tom Bradshaw

Post by Tom Bradshaw »

One thing seems consistent about heights of pickups, the closer to the strings, the more volume. Beyond that, I have discovered that a player needs to experiment with the height of a pickup. Volume isn't everything. You can lose some lows and some highs by the positioning of a pickup. I've recommended that a player take their steel to where they usually play, distance the pickup as far as they can from the strings (if it is adjustable), play the first set at the low point, the 2nd set at about 25% of the distance to the strings, the 3rd set at another 25%, etc. You will discover that you increase the volume, but you also discover tonal changes (fidelity, a swapping of highs for lows & visa versa) from the output of the guitar. With this experimentation, you may discover a height that you conclude to be the best for the fidelity (or tonal quality) that you seek. If you don't like any of the settings, you may want to replace the pickup or your amp (or your guitar?).

Naturally, the closer you get to the guitar's strings, particularly the bass strings, the weight of your hand may begin to press the lower strings against the pickup. This isn't good, since you amplify that noise and you mar the top of your pickup; and I get a lot of guitars in with deep grooves in the pickup at the lower register.

I have swapped a lot of pickups on guitars over the years. Every pickup I've put in a guitar has resulted in a different sound quality. Not surprising though, since that is what the customer was wanting by doing the replacement swap.

The best sounding pickup I've ever heard? An Emmons 1725 (17,250 ohms with 1/4" magnets). These were put on Emmons guitars in the '60s. I had Jerry Wallace make me one of his TruTone pickups with a tap at 1725. He also continued on with the wrap to his usual ohms (19,000 or 19,500--I can't remember). It was hard for me to tell the difference, but the customer, Josh Welch in Utah, ultimately opted for the 1725 side of the wrap. That proved interesting to me.

Anyway, just some of my thoughts and experiences. ...Tom<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tom Bradshaw on 23 December 2004 at 04:29 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

As a follow up question:
Can the signal from the pickup be distorted by having the pickup too high?
Can the signal from the pickup be distorted by having too much impedance?

Thanks

Ron