Sho-Bud pickups top coming up?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bruce Wandmayer

Sho-Bud pickups top coming up?

Post by Bruce Wandmayer »

I bought a very used Sho-Bud Super Pro. In cleaning it up, I noticed that one end of each pickup has raised a bit off the wrapped coil below.

Is this a cause for concern? Shall I just let it go? Can I fix it? Do I need to send them to a tech?

Thanks for any help.
Bruce Wandmayer
Sedona, AZ
Steel on the rocks: shakin', not stirred
Billy Carr
Restricted

pu

Post by Billy Carr »

I'd replace them with narrow mount Humbuckers. That should eliminate transfer noise and pu hum. Just my .02 here.
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I'd send them to Jerry Wallace ( TrueTone) and have them rewound. That's what I did with my S~P. Great output & single coil sound. The pole pieces sit up about 1/8" above the top plate and not sure I've seen this before but they sure sound good!

chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

hi bruce....i've seen that happen on some telecasters before with no adverse effect...just cosmetic.
i'd put it together and play it. if is is a problem, you can still fix em. i certainly wouldn't buy new humbuckers. why do people suggest that when they don't even know what the problem is?
of course, some smart person may weigh in here. then you can disregard anything i've said.
Dan Robinson

Post by Dan Robinson »

I would do as Chris suggests, unless the top separates enough to interfere with clearance under the strings or is rapidly getting worse. Adhesive? If you want new and shiny, go for it. A rewound or new pickup might sound better, or not. Everyone has an opinion. Let's do a price drop on mine, and call it a day.
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

Chris and Dan are right....I remember an article Jeff Newman wrote in a magazine many years ago. He said "I like steels that show signs of wear by being played, I don't like new looking steels" ..... a little sign of wear but playing nicely is your best way to go. Save your money for another rainy day :D

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.
Patrick Laffrat

Post by Patrick Laffrat »

don't worry Bruce, it's like us, with age everyone gets fatter but does the job anyway. Keep them. :)
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

If they still have good output, as Chris suggested I'd just play them unless you can't live with the cosmetic appeal, or lack thereof. It appears they would be a perfect compliment for the S~P. They have the vibe already!
Gene Haugh

Sho~Bud Pickup

Post by Gene Haugh »

Bruce,
The top and bottom of the Sho~Bud pickup was glued to the magnets with Model airplane glue and over time some breaks loose due to the pressure applied by the windings. The Sho~Bud pickups were not (Potted or Waxed) so the windings keep trying to separate the top and bottom. There is always a discussion concerning potting or not potting the pickups because of the difference in sound which to me is in the ears of the beholder. I have played a steel with the same problem for years with no problems. As long as the windings don't break in my opinion the problem is only cosmetic.
Gene Haugh
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

I have had a lot of old Bud pickups that looked exactly like yours.. It really does not affect the windings.. As long as they sound good, they ARE good.. Play it and then if they sound weak and tinny some day down the road, just get them refurbished.. Lots of places will do it..
If it were mine, I'd string it up and play it as it sits... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Bruce Wandmayer

Post by Bruce Wandmayer »

Thanks guys for all your help. Let's keep it as it is and move on, playing as we go.
Bruce Wandmayer
Sedona, AZ
Steel on the rocks: shakin', not stirred
Pit Lenz

Post by Pit Lenz »

Yeah, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...