Rockin C6 Lap Steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Gary Meixner

Rockin C6 Lap Steel

Post by Gary Meixner »

A friend asked if I would play steel guitar on a recent recording - here is a link to the song. The style is much different than my usual Hawaiian / country / western swing approach. I had a lot of fun messing with effects which I almost never use. It turned out kind of cool and I was honored that he featured my playing throughout the entire tune. The song is titled, "Shake", I hope you dig it.

Gary Meixner

http://www.reverbnation.com/q/6hfr9f
Brent Marklin

Post by Brent Marklin »

Wow that's some fine playing Gary! Sounds very natural.. I wouldn't have guessed that you were doing music outside of your usual realm. Very cool that you are using C6 also.

Thanks for posting
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

Nice playing! What did you use to get that endless sustain? Playing through an amp or to the board? What guitar are you using? Alright, alright, I'm nosey.
Gary Meixner

Post by Gary Meixner »

Gents,

Thanks for the compliments. I was surprised at how well it turned out and have to admit I really enjoyed rockin' out. My friend (Gary Holt) is a tremendous bass player and the rhythm tracks were so easy to play with.

We recorded using a guitar modeling preamp but I don't remember the make or settings. The pre amp gave us the thick sustain on the harmonics and then my friend used some effects program to polish the rest.

My guitar is a Clinesmith Joaquin Model which always sounds fantastic. And yes I almost always use C6 or some variant and find it works well for bluesy stuff, although the that 6th tone does sneak in sometimes when I don't necessarily want it. Thanks again.

Gary Meixner
Michael Devito

Post by Michael Devito »

That sounds fine! Great groove.
MD