Location of Franklin pedal

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Wayne Ledbetter

Location of Franklin pedal

Post by Wayne Ledbetter »

I may be opening up can of worms but where's the best location for the pedal? Not sure it makes a difference but right now it would be on an all pull. I read the other Franklin post and I have either heard of or seen different locations. This is for Emmon setup on floor pedals. Thanks in advance.
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.
Tim Russell

Post by Tim Russell »

I'm in the process of reworking my D-10 (All Pull Sierra) copedent right now, and I'm putting it on pedal 4, which is where Paul Franklin has it. This is a crossover pedal, working both E9/C6 necks for me.

I can't give any feedback on it, as I haven't played it with this setup yet. Hopefully in a week or so I will have things completed.
Sierra Crown D-10
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Most, I see, are on Pedal "0" (first on left).
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Gianni Gori

Post by Gianni Gori »

In his "Franklin Pedal Course", Paul says something like "...I have it in position 4 because I added it later, but in a new instrument it may be a good idea having it as a 0 pedal..."
Gianni

Zum D-10 9x8, MSA S-10 4x5, Quilter Steelaire combo, Peavey Nashville 112 (w/Ken Fox mod & Jensen Neo), Hilton volume pedals, Sarno Tonic Preamp, Lexicon MPX-1
DALE WHITENER

Post by DALE WHITENER »

Depends if you play Emmons or Day. Should beside the A pedal either way.
Dale
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Dale, I have the "Tommy White change" (1 & 2 to G#and E) next to A. Franklin change at P5.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Cody Angel

Post by Cody Angel »

Mine is split between LKR and P5. I do the same as Lane posted above with TW first pedal. I love it there because that combo of knee and pedal works very well for me. If you split it, I'd put it on 4 or 5 for that reason. If not, I'd put it on 4 or 1 depending on your lever placement in relation to pedals (I.e. A/F combo needs to be accessible ) and your amount of muscle memory with using 1,2,3 for ABC.
MSA Legend XL, Quilter Amps, Peterson Tuners.
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

I have always had it as the 4th pedal, both when I played a Day setup and now with Emmons pedals. For an Emmons-setup guitar, it would probably be easiest to actuate in the 0 position, but the 4th pedal position isn't bad either, just takes some getting used to.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i thought the 'tommy white'change was a paul franklin change.
so what exactly is the 'paul franklin' change the way 'he' uses it?
can i go out of the house without it?
or will people laugh at me if i don't?
chris ivey

franklin/white pedals

Post by chris ivey »

can paul play without it?
did buddy emmons use it? (i'd really like to know)
did john hughey use 'the tommy white' pedal and the 'paul franklin' pedal?
did he use either on 'lost in the feeling' or 'look at us'?
how soon did john die after starting to use one or the other?
did jeff newman teach these moves?
did curly chalker feel he wouldn't fit in with the crowd if he didn't have these changes?
i would assume steve palousek uses them because he is the best at using what other people have done.
can i continue to be a steel player without either one, or should i sell my stuff for outrageous prices?
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

The Franklin pedal drops 5,6 and 10 a whole step.
Most folks with the Emmons drop of 6 on a knee only drop 5 and 10 on the pedal.
As to your last post, no those guys didn't use that change but who's to say what their vocabulary would have lookedlooked like if they HAD?
DALE WHITENER

Post by DALE WHITENER »

That's cool Lane.I have the TW change as you call it on my RKL along with a 6 string lower. I had the Franklin on pedal 4 lowering just 5&10 . I don't even have it on my guitar at the moment. I've seen people with the TW change on LKV also. It's just a matter of taste. I saw a Joe Wright DVD once and he said if the Franklin is beside the A pedal you could use them together. Just sayin :)
Dale
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

just sayin' what? that you don't need the franklin pedal evidently?
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Need? Hah. Give me 2 and 3 (skip the C pedal and F lever and the one that lowers the Bs), and I could play all night.
BUT there will be holes in my vocabulary; if you like the music-as-language metaphor, certain words and phrases will be missing.
Paul could probably dazzle on 2 and 3 as well, but some things would become either harder or impossible to express.
If you were to put a major word off-limits to me for a week, I could still post and express myself well, but I'd notice their absence.
Need? No. Want/find useful? Absolutely. Imagine what Dicky Overbey or Buddy would have done with the Franklin pedal if he'd adopted it. But they DIDN'T.
Doesn't mean it's not useful.
DALE WHITENER

Post by DALE WHITENER »

No Chris just saying you can put it wherever you want on the guitar but it can be used with the A pedal.
Dale
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I took it off my guitar because I never really got the hang of it, even though I had Paul's talk tape. I had it on pedal zero, next to my C pedal (Day player). I saw it mostly on pedal 4 though. That may just be a convenient spot, as you already have a pedal 4. I really would prefer it next to my A pedal because there are some cool lick and chord changes with it and the A, B, and A+B pedals. With it next to my A pedal, those moves would require less foot movement.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Tim Russell

Post by Tim Russell »

Well "dang", I wish you guys would have weighed in on my recent "4th pedal thread" with this info., because "if I knew then what I know now" I may have seriously considered putting it on the "0" pedal.

Too late to change now, as all my changes are pretty much in place, this is a Sierra, and with copedent changes being a major pain on these, I'm not looking forward to rearranging everything again. :oops:
Sierra Crown D-10
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Paul says on his CD that you can put it anywhere as long as you can use it in conjunction with the E to Eb lower.
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

I have it on the zero pedal. Do I need it ? No but, I really like it.

Tony
Jeff Campbell

Franklin Pedal

Post by Jeff Campbell »

Tony, I do good to keep A and B pedals under my shoe :)
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Tony and Jeff,

Off topic, but the night before last Debra and I ate at Randall's.

RC
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Tim Russell wrote:Well "dang", I wish you guys would have weighed in on my recent "4th pedal thread" with this info., because "if I knew then what I know now" I may have seriously considered putting it on the "0" pedal.

Too late to change now, as all my changes are pretty much in place, this is a Sierra, and with copedent changes being a major pain on these, I'm not looking forward to rearranging everything again. :oops:
You know, it really doesn't matter if it is on p0 or p4. As long as you can use it comfortably, that's all that matters. It works with the E to Eb lever, so I recommend that lever be on the right knee. Or if your E changes are on the left knee, I would put the E lower on the LKR if the Franklin pedal is on P4 on an Emmons setup, because your leg would be going in that direction to hit the pedal anyway. For a Day setup, with the Franklin pedal on P0, I would put the E to Eb change on LKL for the same reasons as it being on P4.

Remember, these are just my preferences and recommendations. You may find other locations more suited to you.

Disclaimer: I didn't have the pedal on my guitar long enough to see what other pedal or levers (besides the E-Eb) work with it. That might have an influence on where to put the Franklin pedal.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Wayne Ledbetter

Why E lever?

Post by Wayne Ledbetter »

Why is it best to have the Franklin pedal work with the E lever? If the Franklin pedal drops 5, 6, and 10 one step that is A, F#, and A. Dropping E to D# with lever? I can see a partial B7 without the B caused we lowered them with the 0 pedal. I guess I need to study this some more. Wondering if a 0 pedal is worth redoing copedant in future. I got to be missing something here. Partial G# minor without the B. See a D chord in open position with 0 pedal. I am looking at chords in open position. I see partial chords. What am I missing? Maybe I need to drink cup or two of coffee or something and relook at this....lol.
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Paul's course teaches how to use the P4 with the E lowers to get a V7 chord. So basically in the open chord position, you can go from a I to a V sus to a V7 to a VII all on one fret. Using P4, E lowers and the pedal B with E lowers. I'm still taking the course, but I did listen ahead and he teaches more on it later.