WTB 2" extra length pedal rods f/Carter Starter

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Holly

WTB 2" extra length pedal rods f/Carter Starter

Post by Bill Holly »

I need three pedal rods that are two inches longer than the standard for a Carter Starter. If you don't have them, any suggestions? I've already tried emailing Carter through their website but never received a response so am seeking elsewhere. Note: That's not a comment on Carter, just figured someone being helpful might suggest trying that first, and I already have.
Don Lail

Post by Don Lail »

You can get pedal rod extenders that fit between the existing pedal rods and the connector socket at the bottom. They work fine.

One source would be Bobby Seymour at Steel Guitar Nashville. I think he gets $5.00 each for his.

Bill Holly

Post by Bill Holly »

Hi Don, Thanks for the suggestion! I made an assumption that since the Carter Starter (now in my son's hands, in Texas, since my wife bought a Zum) is of a basic permanent, non-adjustable manufacture that the regular extender kits would not fit and I'd have to obtain special made rods. I'll touch base with Bobbe to see what he says. Again, thanks! Bill
Bill Holly

Post by Bill Holly »

Bump
Don Lail

Post by Don Lail »

HI Bill,

While the Carter Starter is a "permanent" set up as far as the tuning changes, the pedal rods have the fairly standard 10-32 threads and the leg threads are 1/2 x 13. There is only a small adjustment built into one rear leg for leveling.(at least on the ones i've seen) So, you'll need new legs two inches longer or you'll need two inch leg extenders which could present a problem since the pedal bar bolts on through drilled holes at the bottom of the legs. If you extend the legs from the top as I did, the original holes for the pedal bar probably won't line up properly.

My suggestion would be take the legs and rods to a local machinist, have him quote on extending the legs at the bottom end. If he wants more than $50.00 or so to extend the legs and pedal rods,then go to another shop.

If that isn't feasable you might call Ed Naylor, he can probably give you some alternatives.

Later,
Don
Budd Kelley

Post by Budd Kelley »

I can't believe it! There is finally a question on this forum that I can really help with! I feel so useful!

I am 6ft2 and my Carter Starter, with a low Goodrich pedal still had my right thigh rubbing the bottom of the body. I put some books under the legs and measured, and found that I really could use a 2" lift to bring the string height and my arm angles together.

As stated above, the 2" extensions for the rods are easy! The are the "standard" 10x32 threads. The legs are another story. Here is what I did:

I decided that I did not want to drill more holes in the legs for the pedal bar. So I might just as well lengthen them at the bottom. I pulled the rubber cap off and found that the legs are hollow. A piece of 7/16 wood dowel will fit right inside it! I believe that the legs are 1" diameter. What I did is this:

I carefully cut 3 2" pieces of 1" dowel so that the ends were smooth and even. I took a wood bit and drilled a 7/16 hole in the center of each. ( I drilled about 3/4 of an inch deep,)

I tried pushing the 7/16 dowel up inside the leg and found that the "flash" on the inside of the leg from the factory drilling of the hole for the pedal bar bolt prevented the dowel from going any further inside. So I cut a piece of 7/16 dowel a little less than the distance from the flash in the leg to the bottom of the hole in the 1" dowel.

A little wood glue to stick the dowels together and wait for it to cure! Put the rubber cap an the bottom and insert in the leg.

That took care of 3 legs. The adjustable leg was easy. I unscrewed the adjuster out of the leg, popped off the rubber cap, and took it to the hardware and bought one about 2 inches longer! Note: The leg is threaded inside so make sure the threads match!

Now to attach the pedal bar - I went to Wal Mart boat accessory section. I found a kit of 2 U bolts and 2 plastic brackets for round tubing. (I think it was for mounting something to a hand rail.) I looked at the pedal bar and I didn't see enough room to add a hole at the outside end of the bar - so I drilled a hole next to the leg on the inside of each front leg.

Then I cut off one leg of each U bolt, put it thorough one plastic bracket and put the remaining leg of the bolt through the new hole.

A big washer and a wing nut and you have it reassembled. Just move the bottom of the pedal bar to just above the rubber cap at the bottom of the leg and tighten the wing nuts.. YOU ARE DONE!
Bill Holly

Post by Bill Holly »

Hey Don & Budd,
Many thanks for the help! I think between your two responses we can resolve this problem. Again, thank you for the suggestions.
Bill