Types of strings ?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Kristen Bruno

Types of strings ?

Post by Kristen Bruno »

Some strings have a little letter next to the string gage. What is this designation for? Should I avoid certain types of strings for pedal steel? (or even lap steel for that matter).

Thanks
K
"Technology has given us the ability to repeat all the mistakes we have learned from history, but much faster, deadlier and with much greater accuracy" - KAB
Michael Hummel

Post by Michael Hummel »

If what you are seeing is "W" or "P", then it stands for "Wound" or "Plain". Every guitar is different, and certain pulls work better on certain guitars with wound or plain strings (different amounts of tension are necessary to change pitch on wound vs. plain [non-wound] strings).

Mike
MSA Classic 5+4
Too many 6-strings and amps to list
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Best suggestion is to get strings that are for Pedal Steel Guitar. Most music stores do not stock them. Bondz Music in Wildwood does as the owner is a Steel player. Its a little drive from Orlando.

Other option is to order sets from the Forum, which helps to support the forum. Live Steel Strings seem to be the current favorite of many.

Come over to our Florida Steel Guitar club jams, in Lake Panasoffkee and you can talk to the various club members about strings.
www.floridasteelguitarclub.com
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

It looks like the forum stopped selling Live Steel Strings. I went to Live Steel Strings website to order some, and all I get is the home page and no links to other pages. I'm hoping it's just a temporary quirk on my end. I am about to need to order some strings. Live Steel Strings are the best in my opinion, with Jagwires a close second.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I used to buy Ernie Ball strings by the gauge but since trying Live Steel Strings, they are my choice of strings.
Sid Hudson

Post by Sid Hudson »

Thank you Jack, Richard and Erv!

The margin is very small on our product which made it difficult for b0b to make an acceptable margin.

http://livesteelstrings.com/cart/index. ... t_list&c=1
Lee Dassow

Post by Lee Dassow »

Sid's strings are the best. T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Billy Carr
Restricted

strings

Post by Billy Carr »

LSS for me. I purchase mine from Ray Thomas in North Carolina.
Jeff Harbour

Post by Jeff Harbour »

Although the steel-specific string manufacturer's are of the highest quality (such as Jagwire or Live Steel Strings), there is obviously a cost for the quality.

If you want a less expensive alternative, Juststrings.com stocks several pre-packaged pedal steel string sets at fairly low prices, the biggest selection being with the SIT brand. http://www.juststrings.com/pedalsteelguitar.html

If you are new to the instrument, that would be a good way to try out several different gauges and metal types until you determine your personal preferences. Then you would be better equipped to invest in the higher quality strings later.

Jeff H.
Roy Carroll

Post by Roy Carroll »

Another vote for Live Strings. I change strings every 2 weeks or 10 jobs, whichever comes first. I used to use Jagwires, but have found Live Strings to stay brighter longer and have no breakage. I use stainless because they seem to be a little brighter. Sid is a great guy to do business with as well. Some say a string is a string, but I don't believe that is true.
Just north of the Weird place, south of Georgetown
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Not sure if this has anything to do with your question, but besides designation w & p printed beside the gauge to indicate wound & plain, there are also the letters R or PG to designate a string is reinforced for pedal guitar optimum.

These are found from some mfgs./vendors who package strings for pedal steel guitar use and generally are .011 for 3rd. string G# and .017 for 5th string B. JIC you weren't aware.
Jeff Harbour

Post by Jeff Harbour »

I agree, a string is definitely Not 'just a string'. I've had some serious buzzing on low frets with one brand, then it disappeared when I switched to another brand (same gauges and metal).

With that being said, it is true that there are a very limited number of string factories (I've heard it's only about 14 or 15 of them). Many of the standard guitar string brands in fact come from the same source, much like oil refineries.
Teddy Lloyd

Post by Teddy Lloyd »

Get the best LSS
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

LSS ?
Jeff Harbour

Post by Jeff Harbour »

Erv,

I believe he is referring to what you just called your "choice of strings". Funny how the brain tricks us sometimes...
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Jeff,
Now I get it!! :whoa:
Allan Jirik

Post by Allan Jirik »

Is Live Steel Strings the only company that offers an extended E9th set? I'd rather get all 12 strings in one pack than have to mix and match.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I believe Jagwire does custom sets.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Every January I buy a bunch of sets of Strings from Fred Justice at the Feenix Steel guitar show...I think they are S.I.T.brand and work for me,Besides making a great guitar Fred has the Strings! ;-)
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Jack Ritter

Post by Jack Ritter »

LSS for me. Been trying to call
Ray Thomas to order some more but n o reply. May be on vacation. He has individual strings as well as sets and great to deal with.
Seldom ever break a string and super tone.
Zum D10 8x5,rev pre-amp, TC M300, Split 12, n-112, IZZY, Hilton vp, Geo L, BJS Hughey, Live Steel
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

You can always buy direct...
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects