tuning

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steven Albrecht

tuning

Post by Steven Albrecht »

Played my steel alittle in church yesterday seemed to be fine but now back at the studio when I press my A&B pedal my E string goes alittle flat driving me crazy, can't seem to see the problem, any ideas
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

It's referred to as "cabinet drop"
Steven Albrecht

whats the cure? first time this has happened since I got the guitar
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Forget about cabinet drop, if you never noticed it before, it has to be something else.
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I would have to agree with Erv if were talking just a couple cents or less, or a 1/4 tone or more flat I would say the guitars changer/under carriage would be the place to start.
Tom Gorr

Post by Tom Gorr »

Tune your e's with a and b down. ...Much more tolerable.
Steven Albrecht

will try that, could be something came loose just alittle but really frustrating for a newbie,
Stephen Gambrell

Re: tuning

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Steven Albrecht wrote:Played my steel alittle in church yesterday seemed to be fine but now back at the studio when I press my A&B pedal my E string goes alittle flat driving me crazy, can't seem to see the problem, any ideas
Did the church have a real piano, or a digital keyboard? A piano is tuned and "sweetened." Keyboards? Not so much. I've heard it a lot, playing in church.
Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

Have you checked that it only happens with A and B - what about with A only or B only?

I wonder if something in the changer is sticking and pulling the E's changer a bit when you pull the string next to it?

A bit of lubrication could help that
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

My first thought was the same as Jeff's. Something may have got dislocated in transit from the gig so that it interferes - it's happened to me. Observe carefully whether anything other than the correct lever is lowering the Es very slightly.

(Cabinet drop is chronic, not acute.)
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

If you make a habit of transporting it set up, try tightening up all the screws that hold it together.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Steven Albrecht

Thanks again guys, I never transport the steel except in the case, got that info from the forum to, but I cleaned and lubricated the changer points lightly as per recommendation on here, seems to have worked for now, nice tone for an old guitar etc, but hard enough learning to play , sure thinking about buying a new stage one, would cost less than I paid for this,just wouldn't have the history, each day its a new learning experience, and if I wasn't starting so late in life some of the frustration wouldn't be so bad, thanks again