Request info about a vintage pup

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Everett Cox

Request info about a vintage pup

Post by Everett Cox »

My first two lap steels were a Kalamazoo and an Epiphone Electar. Both were six string models. The Kalamazoo was purchased new about 1948 while the Epiphone was purchased new about 1962. Both had a clear, pleasant, but not particularly noteworthy sound through a small (maybe ten watt) tube amp.

For some reason, I had occasion to observe the pickup construction of one or the other of the two instruments. A dark grey bar magnet (about 3/4in wide, 3in long, 1/4in thick) wrapped in a thin white stiff paper tube. The coil was about a 42ga, machine wound (not scatter) such that the individual loops were parallel to the strings. The coil layers were separated by a continuous thin paper(?) dielectric. I remember wondering how they managed to wind the coil with both the wire and insulator at the same time.

I have no idea of the electrical characteristics of the pickups on either guitar. Both provided similar output/volume adequate for some fairly large venues through the same amps used by standard guitar players in the band.

The thing that most intrigues me is the axis of the coil winding. Every pickup about which I can find information is wound around the long axis of the magnet core such that the individual loops are perpendicular to the strings. Searching the internet and asking in various forums has not yielded any info about any pickup wound similar to the one on my old guitar. Unfortunately, I no longer have either one.

Since the orientation of the coil axis relative to the magnet now seems virtually universal, I must presume there are definite reasons. I can, however, imagine some advantages to the mystery pickup. The current method puts the same number of windings under each string. The mystery method would allow for more or fewer under any string. That might help to fatten up the 11ga high G or clarify muddy bass strings of my favorite tunings.

Any info about that old pickup or thoughts on the manner of coil winding will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Everett Cox