SHould I take my PSG to the ISGC?

Archived for historical reference

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Bryce Velasco

John Booth

SHould I take my PSG to the ISGC?

Post by John Booth »

This will be my first visit to the ISGC and I'm wondering if I should lug my Emmons and an amp with me.

I really want to experience it all.

Suggestions?
Thanks
Jb in Ohio
GFI S10 Ultra, Telecaster, a Hound Dog, and an Annoyed Wife
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I don't know why you would need it at the show. The only jamming outside the main ballroom is in vendor's booth's and obviously, they want you to play their gear.

Now if you are going to Mike Sweeney's class, he might want you to bring your steel, but no amp.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
John Booth

Post by John Booth »

That was kinda my thinking too but thought I should ask around
Thanks Bill
JB
Jb in Ohio
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

I haven't been to the ISGC in 10 years or so (lots of visits before that) so this may be outdated advice but I would only bring your steel with you if (1) you are attending a seminar that requires it (2) you're thinking about selling or trading it (lots of face time with potential buyers) (3) you have a brand that is represented in one of the smaller function rooms...in the PAST that would be GFI, Zumsteel, Emmons, Fulawka, Derby, etc and you need minor adjustments or advice that makers might be able to help you with.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Correct Jeff. However there is no place to set up and show your steel to sell except in your hotel room. Scotty does not allow (and I agree) you to bring it down to the hall to sell.

As far as vendors there, you can check out the list on ISGC section of the forum.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Good advice, Bill. I was thinking of a "hotel room" deal away from the convention. I totally agree with Scotty's policy. Otherwise the convention area turns into a flea market and that's not what vendors deserve. Also the convention and vendors are paying for the display space so it's not fair to them.
If you did want to sell a steel, John, probably best to let people on the Forum know ahead of time that you'll have it with you in St. Louis if they want to see it and you can arrange to meet up.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

:D :D :D :D :D
John Booth

Post by John Booth »

Good advice guys. No, I have no intention of selling my Emmons and tho it would be nice to attend a seminar or two lugging a steel around is not my favorite thing at my age. I would however like to have the opportunity to test drive a few brands I have never seen in person. I am assuming that some of the active builders will have areas setup to display and let you try their products. Am I right? Maybe Justice and others that I have heard so much about.

I also have my eyes open for a stage amp. Perhaps a used Nashville or session 400 or the like. Maybe there will be some for sale by vendors or other members. I'm really looking forward to meeting a few people and hearing some quality players.

I was going to drive there some 450 miles, but there's not a lot about St Louis I like so I'll probably just rent a Cessna and fly if the weather is calm enough.

Looking forward to meeting a few of you guys too.
JB
Jb in Ohio
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Vendors are more than happy to have you test drive their products...you may want to BYOP (bring your own picks)
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

What's not to like about St. Louis? John must be a Reds fan.
John Booth

Post by John Booth »

Steve Hitsman wrote:John must be a Reds fan.
Well, yeah !
Jb in Ohio
Garry Pugh

Post by Garry Pugh »

What's not to like about St. Louis? John must be a Reds fan

These days they call us "suffering" Reds fans :)
Emmons PP D10 8X5, GFI Ultra D10,both are setup up "Emmons" style. Quilter 202 Tone Block, Nashville 400, Milkman 85, Stewart PA200, BW and JBL speakers, Profex II

cell # 812-603-1612
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

With another 90 miles or so you can be a fan of a winner, Garry!
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I've never been to the convention, but I did spend a week in St. Louis for training for the company I worked for. It was usually just half days. They would take us around to see the city. I thought it was a cool place. And, I'm not a Reds fan.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Mark Draycott

Post by Mark Draycott »

Last year was my first time to go. I took my steel, and I'm glad I did. I attended Mike Sweeny's seminar. It was well worth the effort. The only thing I forgot was a way to hear it with headphones. I will use an iPad this year, with the iRig.
1976 Sho-Bud Pro II, 1976 Sho-Bud LDG, BF Fender Deluxe, Evans FET 500 LV, BF Princeton Reverb, '68 Vibrolux Reverb
John Booth

Post by John Booth »

Mark,
Where did you leave your steel when you weren't at the seminar?
JB
Jb in Ohio
Mark Draycott

Post by Mark Draycott »

HI John,
I just left my guitar in my room. The bellboys took it up for me. I asked for a cart, to move it, and they wouldn't let me take it myself.
1976 Sho-Bud Pro II, 1976 Sho-Bud LDG, BF Fender Deluxe, Evans FET 500 LV, BF Princeton Reverb, '68 Vibrolux Reverb
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

I'll have my two-wheeler in Scotty's room. Just come by and borrow it whenever. After all, we're all in this together.
John Booth

Post by John Booth »

Thanks guys, ya'll rock
JB
Jb in Ohio