RIP Stan Fish

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Larry Jamieson

RIP Stan Fish

Post by Larry Jamieson »

New York State steel guitar player Stan Fish has passed away. Stan was born in Binghamton, NY and was a popular performer and recording artist in the 1950s and 1960s.
He had his own band, Stan Fish and his Santa Fe Riders.
Stan performed on radio station WGY's Radio Ranch Show out of Schenectady, NY, and the GWGB Rhythm Jamboree Bandwagon out of Goodland, Kansas and and WKTV, Utica, NY.
Stan recorded with Hal "Lone Pine" and Betty Cody on RCA records. He was inducted into the NY State Country Music Hall of Fame in 1995 and his steel guitar and stage outfits are being donated to the Museum.
I did not know Stan well but talked with him a few times in recent years.
Gary C. Dygert

Post by Gary C. Dygert »

Stan graciously let me on his local TV show when I was a teenager, and I was lucky enough to play with him a few times years later. He was a terrific steel player.
Rich Arnold

Post by Rich Arnold »

I used to sneak into the bar hear this guy play when I was 13 years old at a bar called The Stine House in New York Mills.
There were a couple other guys too. Johnny Dugan and Andy Emmert. Andy played the C6 all the time on an MSA. He was terrific! Played in the styles of Joaquin Murphy and Speedy West.
These guys were my earliest influencers.