Repadding a steel seat.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Austin Tripp

Repadding a steel seat.

Post by Austin Tripp »

What is a roundabout price to have my steel seat repadded? I've had it for 8 years now and it feels like I'm sitting on a very uncomfortable piece of plywood. Also, is there a particular type of padding to use? I'm gonna check with some upholstery shops but I just wanted some opinions first! Thanks
"Hotrod"
Steel guitarist for Cody Jinks
Member CMA
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

An upholstery shop quoted me $75 assuming the fabric wouldn't survive, but it "might be possible to reuse it, in which case it'd be less, of course."
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

my old sho~bud seat got that way, but i just pulled the staples holding the vinyl ...put in a new chunk of foam rubber and restapled it.
Doug Palmer

Hobby Lobby

Post by Doug Palmer »

I bought some nice faux alligator skin at Hobby Lobby for my guitar pad. They have several types of black vinyl to choose from and foam padding too. Go to their website and you might get a coupon as well. Great place to shop.
Emmons D-10, ST-10,LD-10 III, NV-112,Fender Deluxe Reverb. Authorized wholesale dealer musicorp.com!
Steve Schmidt

Post by Steve Schmidt »

Just learned this one not too long ago. Go to a carpet store and buy some rubber pad they put down on the floor before they put the carpet down. I like that way better than the foam you can buy from the store. Buy that 3M 77 stuff and glue as many layers together as you wish.
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

I had mine done at a place that does mostly cars and boats. He used the material that cars and boats use and it's held up great after 10 years. He charged me around $60.00

He put on some foam around 5" thick and when I sit down it expels air for like 10 seconds but feels real nice on those hour long sets.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

Dick, are you saying you have "air brakes" when you sit down? :D
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Both the foam cushion and covering really need replacing.

I had a Steeler's Choice seat "bottom out". I couldn't get the same type of foam so I called them and had a replacement seat made. I don't remember how much it was but worth it. You have to remove the old seat and install the new but not that much of a job.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
W. C. Edgar
Location: Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, East Coast Soon!

Post by W. C. Edgar »

The only seat that will NOT bottom out (under 250 pounds) is the www.steelseat.com seat. I designed these seats when I started the company about 2000. Don't use just any foam, the stuff I used was 1 1/2" thick and called something like 140# foam which meant it took something like 140 pounds per square inch to compress it some certain amount and I got it directly from the pouring plant that manufactured it and NO you can't buy it at a craft store or a Wal-Mart. When I started the business I went through and tested over 15 different tension's of the same thickness of foam. I haven't talked to him but I'd call Ed Naylor at Steelseat and buy a piece from him and recover it yourself. It's not that hard and all you need is a air stapler capable of shooting some good staples into the plywood while you hold it tight. That was a big problem of all the other brands including Sho-Bud that after part of a set all of the air went out of the foam and you were sitting on the board.
WC Edgar
First owner of Steelseat.com
1980 Sho-Bud Pro II & 1977 Sho-Bud Pro l
Lawrence 610 Pickups
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson & more
wcedgar.com
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

140 is dense stuff.
Most of the time, foam is measured in weight per cubic foot (most couch foam is around 2 pounds).
Stiffness (and this is probably the scale you're using here, since the average seat uses about a quarter foot, and I can't see a seat with #35 of foam in it) is how much weight it takes to compress it to 60% of its thickness (I'm not sure of the area size tested). 140 is pretty stout.
W. C. Edgar
Location: Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, East Coast Soon!

Post by W. C. Edgar »

I figured someone would start some kind of arguement with me on this.
I stated what I used on the steelseat.com seats when I built them and he probably still uses the same great but expensive foam on them.
Yes it is pretty stiff but still as some give to it. A 250 pound rear end sitting in one place for a 45 minute set will compress the hell out of cheap craft store foam.
Now I just remembered why I don't post on the forum anymore.
Bobby D. Jones

Repadding a steel seat

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Check with Health Supply Facilities. They stock seat pads for rental wheel chairs. Jay Basics makes a pad about 2" thick and 18" X 18" with top molded to fit your touché. Cut to fit seat top. They are built to spend 16 hours a day in.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

WC, I wasn't arguing. I was more like saluting the stout choice of foam.
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

:)
Last edited by Rick Barnhart on 18 Feb 2019 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

LOL...It does sound like Air Brakes Scott.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Austin, I did mine with layers of carpet pad. Used the same seat cover and it worked fine. Took me about an hour on a Steelers Choice seat.
Mr. Bill
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

I got foam from the upholstery shop. Told the what I needed it to do, and took their suggestion. Easy job to do. I also use a sheep's wool pad doubled over on top. It lets some air flow, is very comfy, and keeps your fundament from sweating!
Dr. Z Surgical Steel amp, amazing!
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'73 Bud S-10 3&5(under construction)
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Bob Mainwaring

Repadding a seat

Post by Bob Mainwaring »

I made my seat many years ago using 2 fold-in legs made from plywood, best thing I did regarding not to use individual metal legs.It also has a removeable box inside which I keep all my spare stuff including strings, a couple of bars etc.
The top of the seat I used an old bed-pillow that was placed under the black "fiction leather" turned under at either side surrounded by hammered in brass round topped studs with a stud placed directly centered in the top of the seat.
It's been just "fantastic" over the many years, about twenty, and hasn't given me any problems whatsoever.
Not being too overly bragging, I've been asked a few times where I bought it from. :D

All Z.Best.

Bob.
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Still got the seat WC built for me about ten years ago, it is as good as the day I got it, probably last another 10 years.Great seat.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Joe Naylor

foam

Post by Joe Naylor »

W C must have forgotten my name :)

I get calls all the time for foam - the foam I use is cut for me and I seldom have any extra. I, at one time, sold foam but finally decided that I would not sell parts for anything except steelseats.

I just sat on a seat W C made in Dallas last year and that guy was more like 300# - I did not ask - he said he plays at least 200 or so gigs a year -- that cushion is still in good shape.

I have had people ask for soft foam and have talked all but 3 out of it. One I put soft foam on top of my foam for a couple. The soft foam lasts about 3 to 6 months with lots of use. I checked one recently that was 6 months old and could feel the plywood.

I have many many customers that tell me that my foam is very comfortable.

I will repeat I sell only parts for steelseats. Sorry

I have had several calls asking for foam, legs, hinges and latches which always total up to more than a new seat.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Glenn Uhler

Foam Firmness

Post by Glenn Uhler »

When I was working, I visited several upholstery and foam cutting shops. They both recommended using at least two grades of foam in a seat. At least one inch of firm foam on the bottom (so you don't bottom out) and at least one inch of softer foam on the top (to keep the seat comfy for long gigs).
1974 Marlen S-12 1968 Tele 1969 Martin D-35H
Jim Keeney

steel seat

Post by Jim Keeney »

W C I bought a seat from you way back when and it is still in great shape.
Drew Pierce

Post by Drew Pierce »

I recently sent my Steeler's Choice Easy Rider seat back to the factory in Texarkana to have it reupholstered. Dan replaced the foam and fabric on the seat and back for $60 plus about $8.00 USPS Priority Mail return shipping.

It took me about 30 seconds with an electric screwdriver to remove the seat: six screws in the piano hinge that hold it to the "box" and one screw/nut that fastens the little gadget that keeps the seat upright when open. Putting the refurbed seat back on the box took another 30 seconds or so and it's now like a brand new seat. Dan turned it around in about a week. You just can't beat that for service and value.
Drew Pierce
Emmons D10 Fatback, S10 bolt-on, Zum D10, Evans RE500, Hilton volume and delay pedals.
Joe Naylor

just a note

Post by Joe Naylor »

First, I do not sell parts or pieces for any seats other than steelseats because every time I tried it cost me more than I got.

I rebuilt ONE Sho-Bud and that was the last.

However, I have never had to change foam on my seats. I have heard about all kinds of solutions and ideas for foam.

I have not changed and still buy it from the same place
W. C. bought it. That foam is one of the things the really makes a comfortable seat.

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP