Guyatone Pickups

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Michael James

Guyatone Pickups

Post by Michael James »

Hey Folks,
I was getting a lot of noise and microphonics from the pickups on my Guyatone.
I decided to take the instrument to my friend (Bruno) who owns San Graal Pickups. Back story:(I did a demo video last year of one of his pickups. Here's the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha2XIATmyCM)

Anyway, Here's what Bruno discovered.
As you can see the stray windings are the source of the problems.

Bruno is going to make me set of custom pickups that will mount inside the stock covers.

Anyway, to all of you who may own an old Guyatone, if you have the same issues I'm having you now know why. There apparently wasn't any quality control on the Guyatone pickups.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Can't wait to hear how it sounds with custom pickups. I wonder if he'll wind them to the same specs or hotter...?
Michael James

Post by Michael James »

Hey Doug,
I'll make simple tone demo video when it's all done.
I talked to Bruno today and he said the old pickup had a top frequency of 6,000Hz. The new pickups will have a top frequency of 9,000Hz.
He also said the new pickups are taller and will sit higher inside the pickup covers which could also increase pickup output.
mj
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

He also said the new pickups are taller and will sit higher inside the pickup covers which could also increase pickup output.
Getting the pickup closer to the strings will certainly increase output, but there is such a thing as too close. All pickups have their sweet spot and more often than not, its slightly lower than we think.

The taller coil is also going to sound a little different, most likely more in the Fender camp. Besides just affecting the upper resonant frequency, the change in a coils shape alters the overall tone of a pickup. A comparable example on the extremes might be like the difference between a Fender style taller and skinnier coil and something like the short and fat coil in a Gibson P90 or the early "racetrack" oval single coils.
Michael James

Post by Michael James »

Hey Tom,
Thanks for the insight. It will be interesting to see how it works out in the end.
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

Hey Mike. can't wait to hear it.
Michael James

Guyatone - Bruno Mars Pickups

Post by Michael James »

Hey Folks,
I got the Guyatone back from my friend Bruno Mars that makes custom pickups. The steel sounds amazing! Here's a quick and dirty video I made. It has a 23" scale. I'm used to the 22 3/8 of my Fender Champ. The pickups were a big improvement. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8fSHev71L4
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I like the tone. It sounds fuller, more lows and mids than stock Goyatone pickups IMO.
Michael James

Post by Michael James »

Yea, It does have a much bigger sound. It sound better all the way around. It also helps that the pickups are no longer microphonic. Before when I played you could hear a lot of clunking sounds. Especially when I palm muted.
Joe Elk

Post by Joe Elk »

Sounds great! I wish my music room looked like Yours!!!
Joe Elk
Michael James

Post by Michael James »

Thanks Joe, The guy who originally built my house for himself was a woodworker/house builder. He built the room to do woodworking. When I looked at the house to buy it I was got really excited when I saw that room. Soundproof doors and storage cabinet/closet. I true man cave. :)