S10 Copedant with 4 pedals ?!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Olivier Dufays

S10 Copedant with 4 pedals ?!

Post by Olivier Dufays »

Hello,

I've seen a lot of S10 with 4 pedals (Carter, ZUM, ...).
I've seen a lot of ZUM S10 with 4 pedals, maybe most of them have 4 pedals.
Does anybody could tell me what is the "standard" set up for a S10 with 4 pedals please ?
I haven't seen no information about that, nowhere Image

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Best regards,
olivier
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Not sure what the 4th pedal does on the guitars you described, but many use the 4th pedal to get the Paul Franklin changes:

Lower 5, 6 and 10 a whole tone.

carl
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Olivier.. In my opinion there is no standard pedal 4. I have used 5 to 7 pedals on E9 for years. You can use a fourth pedal to drop both G# strings a half tone,or both B strings a half,whatever you can use. I personally have used pedal 4 to drop my 6 string g# a full tone and have done so for 28 years. Experiment with it. I am LOST with anything less than 5 and 4 on an E9 . My new Carter has been ordered with 5 and 5. and I'll likely add a pedal 6 before long. bob
Olivier Dufays

Post by Olivier Dufays »

Hi,

Thanks for your opinion (Carl, I was sure you'd reply me Image thanks).

As some of you here already know, I'm a beginner, I learn on a Carter starter, it's a good steel, but not enough stable, not upgradable, ...
I do with that now and for months, but I begin to think of finding another steel if I can make music with this one (I mean if I can play other thing than noise Image ).
The problem is what kind of steel, I've seen your copedant Carl ... such a brainteaser for me Image
I don't want to go to a D10 now, neither a U12 nor an extended E9 for now, I thought of that for a long time yet, I think I have a lot of things to learn before on the traditional E9, and regarding the music I'd play, it's perfect as a beginning.
But I would like to be able to play a lot of things, I've heard some pedal steel music which sounds like if they were played on the C6 neck while they were played on the E9 neck !
So I'm looking for information on a good copedant (with more pedals ?!) which could permit to play different kind of music.
Maybe it's an utopia (that explains the C6 , extended E9 and U12), but maybe just a few changes could be a good starting point for richer chords (before changing for a C6 or U12 later) ?!

Any advices ?

Best regards,
olivier
Olivier Dufays

Post by Olivier Dufays »

Bob,

Can you tell me more on your Carter 5x5 please ?
What kind of chords are you able to play with it, what kind of music, ... ?
Can you post (or send me in private your copedant) ?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,
olivier
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Oliver-For versatility, you can try my "lean and Mean" E6 tuning.

The first 2 pedals are your E9 main pedals, A and B pedals.

The next 3 are same as C6 5-6-7 pedals.

Add the E to F knee lever, which gives you C6 8th pedal bonus, and the Eb's knee lever.which gives the C to B effect on C6 and you will find a lot of music to work on .
That's all you need to play a lot of E9 and E6 chord stuff.
Happy New Year...al Image Image

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

If it was me, I would bite the bullet and get a universal 12.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Olivier... I agree with Richard. If you are looking for the ability to play E9/C6 stuff on one neck your best bet is to get a 12 string and use a universal tuning. My Carter has more changes than most E9,but it is STILL just an E9 with a little more flexibility. If you are about to "move up" away from your Carter Starter towards a pro steel. I would seriously think about a U 12 or a double neck. I was in your position years ago and took the "easy way". Bought a good S10 E9 MSA with lots of pedals/knees[5+4]. I wound up never learning to play C6 OR universal tuning.I am still a S 10 player almost 30 years later. Save your money until you can afford the steel you will NEVER have to replace. If you are still having trouble on the E9 it may be a bit early to move on to C6 or Universal tunings. Adding pedals to an s 10 is cool,but it won't turn you into a C6 player good luck bob<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 27 December 2003 at 09:50 AM.]</p></FONT>
Nicholas Dedring

Post by Nicholas Dedring »

I have had my MCI for a bit now, and am finally diving into C6; I've just had it sitting there this whole time, figured it would be good to know, and it sure seems to be.

At the time I started (which is not too long ago, frankly) I knew I wasn't planning on doing much C6th stuff right away, but I like the larger body in terms of playing comfort, and getting a standard package (Emmons set up with Carter's "Most Requested" D10 tuning) made me feel confident that people far more gifted than I had figured out that they liked it that way. One at a time, I came to understand why things were set up the way they were... plus, a D10 is not that much more expensive than an S10.

P4 is different for different people... if there's one change that seems to be turning into a standard item, it's probably the Franklin pedal. do a search for it here, think about what it might do for you...
Olivier Dufays

Post by Olivier Dufays »

Hello,

Well, Ok, ...
It's still a little bit confused ...

I'm not gonna change my PSG these days, so I have time to think about that, but your opinions will be helpful, thanks for all.
I think my ideas will be clearer when the day arrive.

It's funny to see that almost everybody has the same tuning (for each kind of PSG : E9, C6, ...), but just a few have the same changes on pedals and knee levers !!

Best regards,
olivier<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Olivier Dufays on 29 December 2003 at 12:31 PM.]</p></FONT>
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

What is a copedant?