The Zum Twins on Norfolk Island

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paddy Long

The Zum Twins on Norfolk Island

Post by Paddy Long »

Every year I get to go up to Norfolk Island, which is in the South Pacific, about half way between New Zealand and Australia, and a little north towards New Caledonia - to play a bunch of shows for the duration of the week long annual Country Music Festival held there. Well this year (May 17 thru 24) I was thrilled to have the company of my old Aussie mate, and stunning steel guitarist, Michel Rose from Sydney. We got the chance to do some jamming at the nightly social event following each formal show ...and we were even fetted at the Governors cocktail party at Government House - only the very best for the Steel men hehe ... hope you enjoy the photos - and I introduced Michel to my Telonics TCA500 combo amp - and he showed off his Benado Steel dream EFX pedal !!

14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Paul Sattler

Michel Rose and Paddy Long

Post by Paul Sattler »

Thank you Paddy for the pics from Norfolk Island. Do I see Vaughan Jones from Troy Cassar Daley's band on keyboards?

For those who don't know, Michel Rose is generally regarded as the best steel player in Australia (as Paddy is in NZ). I think you will be at the upcoming Brisbane Steel Guitar Show in a couple of weeks Paddy, in which case I look forward to seeing you play and I will come and say hello if that's OK.

To see more of Michel Rose check out 'The Feral Swing Katz' on Youtube.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

It is a pleasure to view these photos and could not help but notice how nicely dressed the performers are. Illustrates respect for your audience in my opinion which is evidently a lost art in this country, (at least on the professional level, read:Grand Ole Opry).
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

It is a pleasure to view these photos and could not help but notice how nicely dressed the performers are. Illustrates respect for your audience in my opinion which is evidently a lost art in this country, (at least on the professional level, read:Grand Ole Opry).
Agreed, David. The only possible improvement I could envision here is if the sidemen were outfitted with black ski masks so they would become totally invisible to their audience.. :lol: :\

Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Hi Paul yes your are so right, thats Vaughan on keys keeping me and Michel apart hehe ... and yes I will be at the Brisbane steel show and looking forward to sharing the stage with JayDee Maness ...
By all means come and say gidday mate.

David - thanks for the comments on our presentation, it is something we pride ourselves on .. everyone on stage has a great professional attitude and it's a privilege to play these shows :D
Michel Rose

Post by Michel Rose »

Hi Paddy,
What a pleasure it was to spend some time with you and hearing you play. I had such a great time. Thanks for the use of your Amp mate and i am definitely envious of your guitar BIG RED.
I nearly took it home with me by mistake.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Hey Michel it was a great week mate - we need to do this more often hehe .. loved your playing as always and it was awesome comparing notes on gear and stuff, and getting to jam together hehe ....

I'll send a poster of Big Red to put up above your bed mate hehe ...I'm sure Tracy won't mind a bit :D
Ivan Posa

Post by Ivan Posa »

Michel, nice to see you are half the man you used to be. Keep it up.