steel guitar amps

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Febbie

steel guitar amps

Post by Michael Febbie »

I'm getting a new stage one steel guitar and I am having a hard time finding what amp. to use. The Nashville 112 and the fender steel Kind are out of production. any ideas. I am a beginner.
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

If you are just starting out then I wouldn't spend a lot until you feel you are making headway and need something better.

A used decent Nashville 400 can be had for around $300-450 and will serve you well. I used those amps for 20 years and still have one for practice.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

The important thing is an input stage with plenty of headroom for a clean attack so you can hear what your right hand is doing.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Jeff Triplett

Post by Jeff Triplett »

Michael,

Steel Guitars of Nashville has a couple of Nashville 400's in the price range that Dick has mentioned. Sometimes you see these come up in the Amp For Sell section as well.

Good Luck.
Jeff T
Show Pro Custom D-10, Justice D10 - Weldon Myrick Edition, Emmons D-10 LeGrande II, Emmons D10 P/P, Sho-Bud Pro II Custom, Telonics and Quilter Amps.
Drew Pierce

Post by Drew Pierce »

For just getting started, basically any decent guitar amp you can get your hands on will work. Hit the pawn shops, but make sure they power up and don't have blown speakers, scratchy pots, bad inputs or anything like that. Older Peavy amps of just about any model will easily power your living room and let you hear what you are doing on the guitar. Newer combo amps like the Roland Cube are also perfectly serviceable and have the advantage of onboard effects, like delay. But don't get too hung up on the gizmos just now. (There's plenty of time for that later.) Just get an amp with reverb in it and play, play, play.
Drew Pierce
Emmons D10 Fatback, S10 bolt-on, Zum D10, Evans RE500, Hilton volume and delay pedals.
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

A Peavey Studio Pro or Bandit from the 1980's will be fine for most practice playing, and even acoustic based gigs. I bought a Studio Pro 50 for $55 and use it for lots of things, including steel. Also, a Fender Deluxe 112 solid state amp is GREAT for steel, do a forum search.
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Michael Febbie

steel guitar amps.

Post by Michael Febbie »

Thanks for all your advice,keep the posts coming. I do have an old Roland chorus 77 with 2 10s.
Bob Knight

Post by Bob Knight »

I have a couple of Nash 112s available.
:)
<b>Rick Johnson Cabinets<b>
<b>Brand X Custom Fiber Cases</b>
<b> John Pearse Thumb Picks, Bars and Strings</b>
"Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent."

— Steve Martin
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I'd like to mention the Fender Princeton 65, a small solid-state amp with a Fender blue label 12" speaker. Excellent for home use, and they can be found for $150 or less... I got mine at a Goodwill auction for $45.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Bob Hoffnar

Re: steel guitar amps.

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Michael Febbie wrote:Thanks for all your advice,keep the posts coming. I do have an old Roland chorus 77 with 2 10s.
That amp should work fine for now.
Bob