A question about an Emmons GS10 pickup

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steven Husting

A question about an Emmons GS10 pickup

Post by Steven Husting »

Hi - I hope someonecan help me here.

I have an Emmons GS10 with a George L 10-1 pickup in it. The pickup was adjusted VERY close to the strings when I bought it (about 1 mm).

I noticed I was getting some horrible noise when I played two or more notes at the same time. A low, nasty, dissonant tone. I thought it might be intermodulation distortion in my amp, so I tried a variety of tube, solid state, and modelling amps, with and without the volume pedal, and with various known-good cables. The noise is there, and it's coming from the guitar.

After reading the thread 'how to get rid of this awful grinding noise' in this forum I dropped the pickup as far as it would go. That isn't much, maybe the thickness of a quarter and w half, but it reduced (but did not eliminate) the noise.I actually cracked one of the tabs on the pickup cranking it down.

The problem is that I think the George L is a taller pickup (about 2 cm) than the original, but I don't know this, since I don't have an original to measure. If someone has a gs10 , I would appreciate it if you would measure the pickup height ( the pickup itself, not the distance tothe strings) since I think I will have to replace this pickup with a shallower one to completely get rid of the noise. The alternative is to route out the steel, which isn't going to happen. It's a shame because the George L sounds really good, but I can't live with this awful noise.

I appreciate any and all help

Steven
Bobby Snell

Post by Bobby Snell »

I measure 5/8" on one from the '70s.

Er, um, 16 mm?
Steven Husting

Post by Steven Husting »

Thanks, that's about what I expected. I guess I'll have to find a new pickup.

Steve
Jason Putnam

Post by Jason Putnam »

I would look into a Jerry Wallace True Tone. I put one on my ShoBud a few weeks ago and love it. And it was considerably shorter in height compared to the George L E66 I replaced.
1967 Emmons Bolt On, 1974 ShoBud Pro 1 3x5,Nashville 112, Quilter TT-12, JOYO Digital Delay, Goodrich Volume Pedal, Livesteel Strings