Pedal Steel Trumpet Sound?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Scott Duckworth

Pedal Steel Trumpet Sound?

Post by Scott Duckworth »

Last edited by Scott Duckworth on 7 Sep 2014 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

That doesn't sound like a trumpet to me, just a differently played and possibly EQ'd steel guitar.
Scott Duckworth

I know it's a PSG, just wondering what effect or EQ setting is being used?

Cliff Kane

Post by Cliff Kane »

It's the attack of the note, it's a soft attack, you can do it with picking technique and/or volume pedal.
Oliver Samland

Post by Oliver Samland »

Listen to the decay of the notes. That sounds suspiciously like a sitar bar, played with soft attacks.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

listen to 'oleo' on the emmons 'one for the road' album.
great horn and/or woodwinds sounds by the master.
your example is nothing special.
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

SITAR bar for sure. I still have one I bought in 1970, with an Emmons logo stamped at the back. Also in the 70's I had a Korg "monophonic" guitar Synth (Single notes to trigger the effect).....The trumpet sound when used was soooo authentic.

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.
Butch Pytko

Post by Butch Pytko »

This post title instantly caused me to reflect-back about the one and only time I ever heard a steel player use a "Trumpet" sound effect through his steel guitar. I'm talking about the one and only great Buddy Emmons--when he traveled the country putting-on his solo concerts, back in the 80's.

He had effects in a rack-mount configuration, and stomp effect pedals in a brief case next to him--which, all together, looked like a small resemblance of "Mission Control Houston" at his finger tips.

He had all kinds of effects coming from that effect/array system--and "Trumpet" was one of them. Somehow, he had everything programmed through his volume pedal--pushing forward, he'd get one effect--pushing back he'd get another.

Needless to say, Buddy Emmons put on a spectacular show of his excellent playing prowess, but the added attraction, was his "Special Effects" spectacle!
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

Butch....Buddy used an Echo-plex echo for many years. They are quite a big unit, and not the size of a typical stomp box. On the Black Album, On "Witches brew" it gave a perfect example of the Echo-plex on the intro, then "probably" a Boss tone for the Witches laughter :D ... Buddy probably had the Korg monophonic synth too....I've heard great trumpet tracks from him :D He's always so tastefull in his delivery.

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.
Butch Pytko

Post by Butch Pytko »

Micky--If you read my post, in addition to seeing stomp effects, I saw a RACK-MOUNT set-up, as well. The rack-mount unit was very large, filled with effect units(a lot larger than stomp boxs), which was a typical band road case. Can't remember how many effects in the rack-mount case, or how many stomp effects in his brief case. Can't remember if he had his Echo-Plex at that specific concert, but I do vividly remember him using the Echo-Plex at a Ray Price concert at Gilley's, Houston, TX in the early 80's. I was right up in front of Buddy, at the Ray Price concert, and could easily see all his equipment.
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

Hey Butch...I googled Echo-Plex...I'd forgotten what they looked like...I Guess "Tape" echos had a much warmer sound :D

http://www.rezostudio.com/fiches-18-ech ... delay.html

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.
Scott Duckworth

The use of the sitar bar is interesting, although I figure some kind of effects had to play into it. The effects stuff today sure isn't the same as that of yesteryear...

Tom Geldner

Post by Tom Geldner »

The original version of Oleo (Sonny Rollins not withstanding) from Steel Guitar Jazz {1963} had Jerome Richardson on sax doing the, uh, sax parts and Buddy being Buddy. I assume those were redone as trumpet sounds by Buddy on One for the Road. (Which I have not heard.)
Just 6-string lap steel. Mostly I play geetar and sing.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I'm not in the same class as the Big E, but when I was on the road with Tommy Cash I used a phase shifter to do the horn parts on "Ring of Fire".
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Buddy used an envelope follower pedal at one stage for horn type Wah wah effects - perhaps it's this ??
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

"Buddy used an Echo-plex echo for many years."

The Echoplex was invented by Forumite, and my good friend, Don Dixon, a wonderful player! They do impart a warm sound to one's signal. I generally used it with my Tele. One gig, the tape broke, so I removed it from the chain. The sound man ran up, and said "What's happened to your sound?" I plugged it back in, and even without the tape, my sound came back! Does it have to do with it's 6 volt circuit? I don't know. But I do know that they are wonderful tone machines! Highly recommended!