Webb Amp Mystery

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

James Murray

Webb Amp Mystery

Post by James Murray »

Played Sat. night in Brownsville Tn. and you never know is going to walk in. Bass player brings a new lady friend and after meeting and talking with her she ask me if I had ever heard of Webb amps. I told her yes. She said her uncle was Jimmy Webb who built these amps. She told me she worked for him many years and she was the one that built the mobile reverb control units. She seemed like a real easy going happy kind of person so I thought I will have some fun with this. After first set I asked her did she have one of these Webb amps just sitting around at the house and of course she said no.Later on I said to her, I have heard that there is a warehouse somewhere that has HUNDREDS maybe THOUSANDS of new amps that Jimmy had made that only his family knew about. she said no that was not the case. I told her you have a honest face but I don't believe you being truthful about the location of this warehouse. After a lot of funny back and forth she said if there was a warehouse full she would sell them all but save one to give me so I would shut up. I am going to continue to be nice and try to gain her trust and find the location of the warehouse.LOL
;-)
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

I don't know about the warehouse theory, but I have a beautiful two piece (to make carrying easier) 6-14E that Jimmy built for me before he left us. It's been at home and it's like new. They are a fine piece of equipment.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

After a lot of funny back and forth she said if there was a warehouse full she would sell them all but save one to give me so I would shut up.
As a girl knowing about Jimmy Webb, she might be on the level. I knew Jimmy, Larry Murphy, John Campbell and others associated with Webb's Music. Of course, there is no warehouse. Tom Bradshaw is making the Webb amp now and production is currently suspended. I think she made you a generous offer..
Roger Miller

Post by Roger Miller »

My Webb is done in gloss black on face plate. My two students bought Webbs' lately and one of them have a matt finish. What is the difference and also is there a difference between Jim and Tom's amps?
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

The best way I know of to tell the difference is by the metal speaker enclosure inside the amp. It's been a while since I had my Bradshaw built Webb, but I think there is a nameplate or something that has Tom's name on it.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Larry Gerdeman

Post by Larry Gerdeman »

Does anyone have contact info for Tom Bradshaw? I need a part for my Webb amp.
Dave Bertoncini

Post by Dave Bertoncini »

Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

James, your story sounded so familiar from the start. I recall our keyboard player (Little O'Oprey) who is also a steel player told me a couple years ago that he was playing steel at dance at the Eagles Lodge in Ft Smith, AR and at intermission a lady approached him stating she was related to the guy who built Webb amps. I don't remember the relation or which Mr. Webb it was. It is quite possible that she was being truthful and might be the same person as Ft Smith is only about 300 miles down I-40 from Memphis. He didn't learn anything about a warehouse. :)
Jerry
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

As Barry mentioned, John Campbell & George Moore designed and produced the steel amps. John was a local legend. Not only was he an excellent guitarist, but also a closet steeler. He was a friend to all musicians who crossed his path and the best salesman I've ever known, because you knew he was trying to help you get the best equipment available, and not just trying to "sell you."

For my money, the original Webb is still the best steel amp ever made.

Joe
Jim Simon

Post by Jim Simon »

These kind of stories can be fun. I think that warehouse was shared with Leo Fender. Piles of 52 Tele's in there. I had lunch with Jimmy at his favorite rib spot shortly before he passed. His "warehouse" was the store. He did have lots and lots of instruments. All that was left of the Amp business was an area about 1/2 the size of a small bedroom with an L shaped bench and some shelves. Parts strewn on the bench. A few chassis, pots, etc. That was it. Jimmy did talk of another startup and a fella that wanted to help him but nothing but pie in the sky. Believe me. If there was any chance of getting one I would have jumped on it. What a minute. I think he did say something about a building down by the river there in Antioch.................
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Jim, would you know if Jimmy had any children?