Best cities in Europe for a working player?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Matthew Bean

Best cities in Europe for a working player?

Post by Matthew Bean »

Hello all!

I recently came across the european steel "roll call" and wanted to see if anyone had any more information on specific cities where the steel is thriving or cities with a bustling Americana/roots music scene? Contemplating the move across the pond...

Thanks so much!
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

please tell me when you found it.... :)
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

As Johan said , please let us know when you find one.The scene is dead in the UK (Well Scotland anyway) , most venues have muppets , a great many who have no talent, singing to backing tracks.There are very few places where a reasonable size live band can get paying gigs. :(
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

The steel guitar "scene" is probably the same on both sides of the pond.. Localized, and not very well paying for most.. In the states there are great players without gigs, and lesser ones with a ton of work.. These days talent is less important than looks, networking, being at the right place at the right time.
Holds true for most musicians I would wager.
Some get breaks, a lot don't...
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Matthew Bean wrote:...Contemplating the move across the pond...
Find a city with the lowest cost-of-living, where you can live cheaply as a bum on a steel-guitarist's sometimes salary. But since you'll be on the street most of the time I advise against a cold climate. Try the Mediterranean coast where you can sleep on the beach without getting mugged. ;-)

Before you think of moving across the pond, ask yourself why people move Westwards across the pond.
I just returned froma month in England and Wales and the cost of living was so high compared to California that I wonder how anyone survives over there nowadays, especially since Margaret Thatcher destroyed the welfare state. And California is expensive compared to the Mid-West, where my inlaws live.

Look before you leap. :whoa: :eek: :whoa: :eek:
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

deleted
Last edited by Chris Templeton on 11 May 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

I think it's the same wherever you go in this world... If you can latch onto something good, all could be good, if you don't it's treacherous... It's half a dozen of one and 6 of the other, there are no great cities in the world, but you might feel the need to go out there and see it take some chances... There's nothing more satisfying in this world than to actually been there and tried it... Be careful, and watch yer back!!
A.K.A Chappy.
John Botofte

Post by John Botofte »

I would head for Benelux and Scandinavia for Americana/Roots with a steel sound. Last night's Eurovision featured a Dutch song with pedal steel - that came second in the competition. Could be the first pedal steel in the Euro song contest. And you hear some good Roots/Country in the Nordic countries. Check out Mojo Blues Bar in Copenhagen. A great pedal steeler like Maggie Bjorklund from Denmark of course finds most of her gigs in the US.

Good luck

John
GFI SM10-SD 3x2 Pedal Steel,
Georgeboard 8-string, 6-string DL travel lap steel, Gretsch 6-string, Gretsch Jim Dandy Parlor Guitar, Peavey Nashville 112, Boss RV-5
Zoom R8

https://soundcloud.com/lapsteelin1965
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i would think Scandinavia is the better option
Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark

Spain is the country i prefer
better climate & cost of living

Holland, Germany & France are ok but expensive
Peter Nylund

Post by Peter Nylund »

CrowBear Schmitt wrote:i would think Scandinavia is the better option
Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark
Just a minor correction, Finland is not a part of Scandinavia. Which could also be the reason there are no gigs around here.
I know my playing is a bit pitchy, but at least my tone sucks
Harry Johansen

Post by Harry Johansen »

South or south west norway seems to be little texas, country music is populare in that area, I wish I lived there.
Harry Johansen

Post by Harry Johansen »

South or south west norway seems to be little texas, country music is populare in that area, I wish I lived there.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

in the 90's I played a lot around Europe, mostly Germany,Italy,Austria,Slovenia and Croatia...I don't know about todays scene too much, but back then 99% of the bands were weekend bands, mostly with the local jobs, I can't remember any touring bands tho, Tom Astor was a big name back then, but not sure how much he toured, if at all. Truck Stop was the biggest German country band back then. I wouldn't advise to go to Europe to look for a full time steel gig, I don't think that would be a good idea. I was doing pretty good because I lived in Croatia, and was very close to all of those countries, so we had a band, and we would travel around on weekends, I was making more money playing on weekends, than any of my friends working a day jobs in Croatia..so it worked pretty good for us, we had few managers, and even a small tour bus. However, when Croatia got in a war with Serbia , the show was over. I tried many times to hook up with European bands while here in US, but without any success. The closest I got was talking to the guy in Germany who owned a company for renting a party equipment, tables,chairs,tents etc.. he had his own band he would offer to the customer that was renting party equipment from him, and he had some work, but again, only on weekends. Even the most popular bands were local guys with a day jobs. If you are looking for a road band that is on the road, and working full time like we do here, in Europe, that is not the way they do it. Season for the bands is mostly in the summer, when there is a lots of open air gigs, and country festivals. I remember Dave Dudley lived in Germany full time, and was playing a lot, but I don't know how much that "a lot" really was. If you are looking to play steel in Europe, most likely you will need to get a day job to support yourself, and gig on the weekend.Many US stars would go to Europe, but only in the summer, when they would play open venues and festivals. Also, Europe is very expensive place to live, gas is probably around $9 per gallon,and food is very expensive,as well as rent. Depends how old you are, and how free (family,car payments etc) if you are young, and have no obligations, you can go just to see it, you have nothing to lose, but if you are going to Europe hoping you will make living playing a steel guitar full time, I think that is not going to work. As hard as it is to make living playing steel full time in US, it is 10 times harder, if not impossible, to do so in Europe. Go there for a few weeks, connect with some local guys, and see what happens, but don't expect too much.

I was in the "Hank Haberle" band for a short time, and he was doing really good, however, he was more of a comedian and a show man, than a serious country artist. He would translate original American songs in to german, and turn the lyrics around to make it funny. He was very popular, locally , until he committed a suicide years ago. I got fired after a local newspaper music critic wrote a review of his concert, where he said that band sounded like they just got out of the garage, and the only two people who knew what they were doing, were lead guitar and steel guitar player (me)... he was a drunk and an ego maniac, so he didn't like that review, and fired me.

and at the end, if you decide you want to go anyway, try to contact a well known country music journalist in Frankfurt

https://www.facebook.com/christian.lamitschka

he may have much more useful infos for you than me.

you can also try to contact Bruno, the owner of the Oklahoma and Rattlesnake saloon in Munchen, Germany

http://www.rattlesnake-saloon.com/WILLKOMMEN.html

Db
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

I am in a couple of UK bands and play 2 - 4 gigs a week with the same number of steel sessions. This ticks me over in my retirement. I have a very good pension from my career in local government on top of the state pension. Add some steel guitar tuition on top of this and things are pretty good for me in the UK.

Alan Brookes is absolutely correct - the cost of living in the UK is far higher than it is in the USA. When I spend time each year in the States, I am always amazed at how cheap the everyday essentials are compared to how they are in Europe and the UK.

Matthew, I would have a strong think first before taking the plunge. The grass is always greener they say, and I would suggest to you that there are more opportunities in the States than there are across the pond. :\
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Malcolm McMaster

After reading Ken's post I am thinking of moving down to Southampton , my average for gigs is about one a month ( if lucky) and occasional session.Paying gigs in Scotland are getting as rare as hens teeth.There are plenty of gigs going if you want to work for free, and usually end up out of pocket, Petrol/Diesel over here is around $10 a gallon, so even with a small diesel car doing 60mpg it is still a costly item to get to gig.Add to that the cost of importing gear , it virtually doubles in price compared to what you guys pay on your side of the pond.As Ken pointed out every day expenses like food are way above what you guys pay.Think hard about any move over here.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Malcolm McMaster wrote:After reading Ken's post I am thinking of moving down to Southampton , my average for gigs is about one a month ( if lucky) and occasional session.Paying gigs in Scotland are getting as rare as hens teeth.There are plenty of gigs going if you want to work for free, and usually end up out of pocket, Petrol/Diesel over here is around $10 a gallon, so even with a small diesel car doing 60mpg it is still a costly item to get to gig.Add to that the cost of importing gear , it virtually doubles in price compared to what you guys pay on your side of the pond.As Ken pointed out every day expenses like food are way above what you guys pay.Think hard about any move over here.
Yes Malcolm, Billy M has told me that the situation in Scotland is chronic gig wise. Last week I did 4 gigs and 3 recording sessions for others in my studio. This week I have 2 gigs and next week have 3. Just think, when you get independance in Scotland, you will need a passport to get into England. You may also need to pass a test for ability to speak English. :lol: (Just kidding).

It's a real shame that things have died down up north, as there were some very good Scottish country bands and a good thriving country music circuit up there in the 1970's.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Malcolm McMaster

Same old problem Ken, scene has been killed off by the karaoke muppets, no work for LIVE bands.
Have spoken to our goverment, and when we get independence have arranged dispensation for you to be allowed to visit up here in gods chosen land. :lol:
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

You mean Europe HAS more than one city?!? I thought it was, like, all castles and damsels & knights n' stuff. Of course, it is a pretty big country. To only have one city, I mean. Boy, I bet those two fought like cats n' dogs, huh! Of course, I'm over on the East Coast now, where neither the Indians or the cowboys can get me. I know at least the knights have horses (well DUH) but do you guys have, like, cowboy boots & cowboy hats for your band? Far out, dude! Just stay out of the chaps if you come to visit, they have like a secret hidden meaning.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

The musicians I know that are making a living in Europe play in the concert/festival scene. To hook into that you would need to broaden your skill sets. To get new music and contemporary jazz gigs or get hired by composers you would need to read music a bit and have an open ear for new forms. There seems to be work available for more retro styles also. There is a pretty healthy rockabilly and manouche circuit that straight steel fits into. For that you would need to get your C6 stuff pretty together. The techno/DJ scene seems to be flourishing. Those guys are always looking for new sounds. For that you would need to be able to come up with something wild and astonishing.
I was thinking about moving to Berlin(from NYC) a while back before a road gig with a country guy coughed me up like a hairball and I found myself in Texas. For some reason I also found myself drawn to Oslo.

I say if you want to live in Europe go ahead and do it. I always love it over there and have a ball playing. If you are flexible, resilient, can play pretty good and aren't an asshole you will find a way.
Bob