Half Stops.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Sez Adamson

Half Stops.

Post by Sez Adamson »

I am considering installing a half stop on my Emmons Legrand. On the C6th neck, my RKL currently raises strings 4 & 8 from A to Bb. I want to then be able to go through a half stop up to B. I have done some experimentation and established that with judicious selection of the holes in the bell cranks, I can reasonably accurately achieve correct pitching of both strings together at both the ‘mid’ point (Bb), and at the end stop (B). The A to Bb change is one of my ‘bread & butter’ changes that I use all the time. For the exercise to work effectively, I want to achieve a very light push up to the Bb, at which point there must be a very definite ‘solid’ stop. I need a system of ‘tuning’ this ‘mid point’. Then a ‘firm’ push on up to B. This change is not uncommon, as I gather a number of players already have it. I currently have A’s to B on Pedal 4. I don’t use it that often, but often enough to not want to be without it.

The ‘Half-Stop’ systems I am somewhat familiar with are:
1. Lowering of string 2 on the E9th neck by using the 9th string half tone lower to provide the additional ‘push’ required.
2. Use of an 11th changer scissors and spring system.

I have the first one on my Williams and it works well for this specific application of lowering string 2. But I would need a far more definite ‘mid point’ on the application that I want to achieve on the Legrand.
I have seen the second system on Carter and Infinity Steels, and it works beautifully in the application of the specific changes that I want to achieve (outlined above). But this is not a retrofit solution. It has to be an integral part of the design from the word go.

I am sure the subject of Half Stops has been discussed at length before and there are probably places (website locations) with schematics that go into all the options and perhaps specifics of how they can be set up and installed, and what specific ‘hardware’ is required. I have some spare bellcranks, pull rods, and ‘bits & pieces’. For the record, it’s not an option for me to send the instrument to anybody in the USA as I live in South Africa. I am hoping that, with a little more research and a better understanding on my part, I can figure out the best solution locally. Alternatively, I could purchase the hardware from the USA. Who would be the best sources for this?

Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Many thanks for your help.
Sez
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Hi Sez
get hold of Lynn Stafford
lynn_stafford"AT"comcast.net
Tommy Cass
tommycass"AT"comcast.net
they are both good Emmons steel techs & should put you in the right direction
usually half stops are more common on lowers than raises
raising w: P7 & lowering string 3 a half stop w: the lever is common
Sez Adamson

Post by Sez Adamson »

Thanks Crowbear. And thanks for the chat on Facebook.
I found a couple of video's on Youtube.. thanks Lane Grey and Earnest Bovine. They are helpful in explaining the theory. Mickey Adams may also have a video on Youtube too.
I'll see you in France in June, and we can chat some more. Then I think I will look at simply buying a kit from the USA once I am back from France.
Thanks again.
Sez
Peter Nylund

Post by Peter Nylund »

Hi Sez, perhaps you should check out WBS. They have a nice halfstop and I think it is compatible with any brand.
I know my playing is a bit pitchy, but at least my tone sucks