New Member in S. Florida

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Steve Hogge

New Member in S. Florida

Post by Steve Hogge »

Just signed up and thought I'd say hi.

About a month back, I went nuts and got a dobro. While I was getting info on it and accumulating instructional material, I came across a lot of lap steel stuff, and, again, I went nuts. Now I have a lap steel, and I am learning to play it.

This instrument is beyond cool. I cannot understand why it's not more popular.

Hope I can be a useful addition to the forum.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Welcome, Steve. Steel guitars, of whatever variety, are great.

I'm probably a long way from you if you are in South Florida. If you are on the west coast, there is the Manasota Steel Guitar Club in Bradenton, that has a jam the 3rd Tuesday of each month. Worth visiting.
Same with our Florida Steel Guitar Club, which meets the 2nd Wednesday of the month, but we are probably further away as the club jams are in Lake Panasoffkee. www.floridasteelguitarclub.com
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

Welcome Steve - its addictive for sure
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Steve Hogge

Post by Steve Hogge »

Thanks for the replies. I'm not even sure where Bradenton is. Let's see...Google tells me it's south of Tampa. I'm in Dade County, where I probably possess the only lap steel in a 50-mile radius. I looked up Lake Panasoffkee. Wow! Not very close!

Like a lot of people in my area, I hope to escape eventually, so maybe one day I'll be able to take advantage of the info you kindly provided. I have been looking at the Ocala and Pensacola areas. Florida is a great state, once you get north of the weird parts.

This forum has been very useful already. Before I signed up, I got a ton of great info here.
Deirdre Higgins

Post by Deirdre Higgins »

Hi and welcome Steve :D
Jerry Byrd Fan
Tom Snook

Post by Tom Snook »

Welcome Home Steve, I'm up here in Ft. Weirderdale. :whoa: I'm the only Steeler I know,this is a cool place to hang out,but I would'nt want to live here.
I wanna go back to my little grass shack........
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Welcome, Steve!
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Welcome Steve...steel is a wonderful instrument and this is a great group. Folks here will bend over backwards to help us beginners.
GFI SM10 3/4, 1937 Gibson EH-150, 2 - Rondo SX Lap Steels and a Guyatone 6 String C6. Peavey 400 and a Roland 40 Amps. Behringer Reverb Pedal.
Steve Hogge

Post by Steve Hogge »

Thanks again. This is one of the strangest things I've taken up, and coming from me, that's saying something. I look forward to interacting with all of you.