Excel Repair

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tony Kotula

Excel Repair

Post by Tony Kotula »

My Excel D10 10string B raise to C# slips out of tune. I replaced the nylon tuner. It still slips. I have extra nylon bushing that the pedal rod is connected to. But I having trouble trying to get the rod to thread into the bushing. I have the 2.5mm wrench in a bit on my Makita. But cannot press to hard because the rod flexes and I am scared to bend it! Has anyone had or heard of this problem? Thanks for reading.
left handed Excel Dl0, left handed GFI UNI 12 Ultra, 2 n.ville 400's, DD3,Lexcicon MPX100...
Kenneth Caine

Post by Kenneth Caine »

I have had problems with my nylon bushing also, on my Excel. I don't have a supply of them so what I did was get some plastic rods from US Plastics to the correct diameter of the bushing. Well they are not exact because of Metric/English conversion, but pretty close. I then cut a small piece of the plastic and drill a hole for the rod. Took me a few times to get the right bit size for the rods. If I didn't use the right bit, I could not thread the rods.

One thing that made threading easier was to thread them outside of the guitar. Pull the rod and lock it in a vise and twist the bushing onto the rod, this will keep the rod from bending. I would never use a drill to spin the rod, only hand thread. Push the busing down onto the threads while twisting. Once the threading bites, do a few more twists. Separate them and put the rod and busing back into the guitar and hand tighten.

If you cannot thread the rod into the bushing, even out of the guitar, you need to open the hole, just a little. Do this carefully with a small screw or drill bit. I found that once the bushing catches in the thread it will self thread and hold tight.

Over time I've had to replace a number of the nylon bushings. They work lose with regular use and then will not pull the correct distances. I'm sure you found this out which is why your are replacing them.

ken
Tony Kotula

Post by Tony Kotula »

Thanks Ken for the quick reply! And good advice too! I have changed the nylon tuners using a vice before. I should of known better than to try it in the guitar. The B to C# would just not hold. The nut was split. But even with the new nut I would still here a pop sound every time I tuned it. That made me suspicious of that bushing. Luckily there are a dozen extra bushing taped in 2 cross shaft brackets that are there in case I want to add a knee lever! I think my dear old friend Don E. Curtis ordered those back in 97 when I bought the steel.
I love that old Excel and am considering ordering a new lefty from Scotty! I will post later using your repair tip! Thanks again!
left handed Excel Dl0, left handed GFI UNI 12 Ultra, 2 n.ville 400's, DD3,Lexcicon MPX100...
Tony Kotula

Post by Tony Kotula »

Hi Ken, I got the bushing in...new nut... the problem still exists. Although not as bad as before but it still is not 100%. Now no clue what to do next other than trying another bushing. The pop sound is still there when I use my tuning wrench. I never messed with the return springs. But I don't think that would be the issue. It has to be something simple that I am not seeing! Does this problem sound familiar? Thanks!!
Mark Addeo

Post by Mark Addeo »

Hi folks, I stumbled onto this thread. Sorry I can't offer any advice for your problem. I recently purchased an abused lefty Excel D10 Superb. It had deep scratches in the end plates and was setup for non-standard copedants on both necks. I was able to set up the E9 neck but need some parts to complete the C6. I have exchanged some emails with Scotty's but it's been about 6 months and haven't heard back that they can get the parts. I need some rods, hex bell cranks and nylon hex rod ends. Let me know if there is another source I can try. I will keep pinging Scotty's and maybe they can get them after all. Thanks and good luck with your issue and getting it fixed.
Tony Kotula

Post by Tony Kotula »

I WILL SEE WHAT I CAN DO... DROP ME AN EMAIL...
telefty815@comcast.net
Kenneth Caine

Post by Kenneth Caine »

Tony

I don't know anything about a 'pop' when tuning. Can you tell where the pop originates? Near the changer, the bell cranks or a rod binding. A 'pop' would seem to indicate something binding and then releasing.
Billy Carr
Restricted

psg

Post by Billy Carr »

Remove the 10th string, B note. Next remove the pull rod after you've turned the Excel over to where you can work on the undercarriage. Check the bellcrank and make sure it's secure and is lined up directly to the #10 changer finger. Remove the spring on the #10 finger and move the finger checking for anything that might be in it. Oil the finger and install the return spring again. Check the threads on the pull rod and make sure there not catching on the finger. Replace the 10th string now and bring it up to the B note. If the pop still exists, do the touch test until you find the cause. Turn the guitar over again and move the pedal and put your finger on each part that is working the 10th string until the pop is located.
Tony Kotula

Post by Tony Kotula »

Hi Billy, thanks for the help. I replaced the nylon tuner. It was split & came off when I was removing the pull rod. That prob I had before with another string. I thought for sure that was it! But I changed the barrel bushing too... to make a long story short, with the guitar upside down in the case I was going mad trying to locate that pop... then I noticed there was some slop in the pedal rod...I readjusted the length and problem solved. Now I aint saying that was it all along.. but I had a good laugh on my behalf. The tuner nut was bad too.. I must of loosened that little nut on the pedal rods spring loaded fastener to the pedal setting up tearing down a dozen times in the past 2 weeks... I just overlooked that. I thought when you get older you get smarter? lol... thank you for your help!
Billy Carr
Restricted

psg

Post by Billy Carr »

Glad it's ready to play again. I don't think we ever stop learning and finding new things with guitars. I started at age 14 and now at 56, still learning. By the way, I play a S-10 Excel on a 1 1/4 frame, 3 & 4, Excel pu wound to 18000 ohms, black/red mica. I've been lucky enough to actually sit down talk with the builder while he was here in Mississippi. They say, if you wanna know something, go straight to the horse and ask. Well, that's about as straight as it gets with the owner/builder of EXCEL guitars. My main interest is under the hood, so to speak again.