Steel Guitar in Kauai, Hawaii

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ricky Littleton
Location: Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA

Steel Guitar in Kauai, Hawaii

Post by Ricky Littleton »

I am going to be on Kauai from March 30 until 5 April 2014 and was wondering if there are any places to go to head some steel guitar while on the island.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ricky...
Emmons LeGrande - 8x4,
Gwin Steel custom tube amplifier ,Goodrich Volume pedal, Peterson VS-II Tuner, E-Bow, Bo-Bro
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

It's slim pickins even on Oahu, but here's something to help you http://hwnsge.5u.com/ Kauai is near the bottom.
Enjoy!
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

ask Forumite Jim Hollingsworth...
Jim Hollingsworth

Post by Jim Hollingsworth »

As Dante' aptly stated..... "Abandon all hope ye who enter here". Ernie Palmieri plays steel a couple of days a week at the airport to entertain tourists. I was playing periodically with whatever band I could fine that'd let me use steel. But most Hawaiians aren't too keen on steel (they prefer uke)and even fewer even know what a pedal steel is.

I know that some of the commercial luaus on Oahu & Mauai have (non-pedal) steel players but pedal steel players are as rare as hen's teeth in Hawaii these days.

By the way .... Hi Rick .... how are you doing?

Jim
Larry Allen

Kauai

Post by Larry Allen »

Ricky, we have 1-2 weekly steel jams at my house with Ernie Palmeira, Jess Montgomery, Gabe Ornellis, Bill Mello, myself and various steelers that come on island. In Wailua close to Kapaa...call if you have time, 822-2669, Larry :D
Excel steels & Peavey amps,Old Chevys & Motorcycles & Women on the Trashy Side
Larry Allen

Kauai

Post by Larry Allen »

Ricky, if you're here the nite of the 5th, Jerry Douglas,Ken Emerson and the local famous slack key guys are in concert. Larry :)
Excel steels & Peavey amps,Old Chevys & Motorcycles & Women on the Trashy Side
Ron Whitfield

Re: Kauai

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Larry Allen wrote:the nite of the 5th, Jerry Douglas,Ken Emerson and the local famous slack key guys are in concert.
Dayum! I might have to swim over for that.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

It's a long swim for me, but I want to go to the concert at the National Tropical Botanic Gardens. Here's the spiel:

http://ntbg.org/sharing/news.php?id=1146

And Ron, save your strength, no need to swim - Jerry will be in Honolulu:

http://www.honolulumuseum.org/events/le ... ed_kaapana

Jerry and Led will also be on The Big Island where my son lives, I might buy him a ticket for an early birthday present.
Mark
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Maybe it's just me, but does it strike anyone else strange that there is such a dearth of steel guitar here in the islands where it was born?
:? :\
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

Barry - you just noticed that?

There's the thread here about trying to garner votes to make the steel guitar the official state instrument of Hawaii, and I was wondering if it is a little like having the Grizzly bear as our official state animal in California and of course on our state flag, but the animal has been extinct in the state since the early 1920s.

At least Hawaiians will get to see Jerry Douglas in upcoming shows with the likes of slack key legend Led Kapaana.

Maybe he'll inspire some folks over there to take up the dobro. 8)
Mark
Barry Blackwood

Barry - you just noticed that?
Sorry - I don't visit Hawaii that often anymore.. ;-J
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

Me neither - but you seem to be in the know regarding the "dearth'" aspect. :wink:

I don't doubt for a minute that the majority of Hawaiian natives have yet to give the matter a second thought.
Mark
Barry Blackwood

Me neither - but you seem to be in the know regarding the "dearth'" aspect.
My comment was based solely on the opinions of previous posters in this thread.. :|
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Barry Blackwood wrote:Maybe it's just me, but does it strike anyone else strange that there is such a dearth of steel guitar here in the islands where it was born?
It's way more than strange, it's downright unacceptable, and worse, while many locals know and respect steel it's largely the local steel community itself that has been AWOL/MIA and let it become that way. Incomprehensible indifference by way too may for way too long.

Mark, thanx, I saw the good news in the paper this morning. WHEW! But then, I needed an excuse to get back over to Kauai...