San Antonio Steel Guitar Assoc.

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Joe Rouse

Post by Joe Rouse »

San Antonio Steel Guitar Assoc. will have the next jam session April6, 2014 at 2 pm until 5pm at the American Legion Post #593 in Converse Texas. Admission is free and food will be available provided by the American Legion as well as your favorite beverage will be available in the canteen. All steel guitar players are invited no matter what their playing skill may be. Players please be set up and tuned up and ready to play at 2 pm sharp.
Another note is that I am stepping down as Chairman of this fine club. Ben Price and Mark Moseley have agreed to take over immediately. Ben and Mark are good men that love western swing music and both play steel guitars and are also playing in our backup band. Kenny Piper will continue as the band leader. Another "THANK YOU" to Kenny Piper for providing his PA system for the jam sessions. I want to "THANK" all those who have attended or played and contributed to the success of our Assoc. Reason for me stepping down is that it's time for others to take over. I did get it started over 3 years ago and in this 4th year I have decided to just be a player and help when they need me. Once again "Thank You" to everyone and God Bless you....jr
Dave Goodman

San Antonio Steel Guitar Assn

Post by Dave Goodman »

Joe, I'm sure glad you're not going away. You provided excellent leadership for 3 years, as every session we had was a big success. Thanks. And you're leaving it in good hands to continue. Hope I can make this one. Depends on x-ray results April 1.
Billy Gilbert

San Antonio Jam

Post by Billy Gilbert »

Ditto what Dave said. Joe you have done a great service to steel guitar players and listeners alike by getting the Jams started and sheparding them through the first few years, and we deeply appreciate what you have done. Billy
Joe Rouse

Post by Joe Rouse »

Thank you both very much for the kind comments. You both have been there to support our jam sessions and to participate too. Dave, I hope your x-rays come out good. You have a lot of friends that miss you at the jam sessions. Billy, you've been there from the start too and I always knew you were in complete support. Thanks...see you at the jam sessions...jr
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

I'm planning on being there.
Jack Harper

Post by Jack Harper »

joe,
this is slightly off topic, but, it is concerning san antonio steel players and pickers from 1973 at the world famous randy's rodeo honkey tonk and night club.
who were the players on the o.b.mcclinton lp recorded live at randy's rodeo in san antone. i am thinking he did this with the house band. i am especially curious of the steel player, but, would love a rundown on the whole enchilada.
i am doing a get together in the city park to honor him in his hometown of senatobia, mississippi on april 25th and would like to shine a light on this record and the players.
this is on the eve of what would have been obie from senatobie's 74th birthday.

country jack....
Joe Rouse

Country Jack

Post by Joe Rouse »

Hey Jack, not a problem. We will be better off to discuss this on our personal e-mail. I have 2 good friends that will know about this....Joe Rouse
Joe Rouse

Post by Joe Rouse »

Roger, glad you'll be there...jr
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

Jack, I was the house player at Randy' opened in 1968. I was there with Slim Roberts for about a yer. Roger Blythe played after I left and I believe Bobby Darrdeman played then. I don't if either of them play on the ablum you mentioned.
Ben Price

Post by Ben Price »

Dim lights, thick smoke, and steel guitar music. Okay, so the lights aren't dim, there isn't much smoke, but there is lots of steel guitar music. Can't wait!
Joe Rouse

Post by Joe Rouse »

The American Legion makes some of the best hamburgers in town...the canteen has all you favorite beverages and the facilities are clean...and a family atmosphere...come out and enjoy the fun at William P. Randolph American Legion Post #593, 326 W. Legion Dr. in Converse Texas. Hours are from 2pm til 5pm. Players please be setup, tuned up and ready to play at 2pm sharp. If you're late then come on anyway. We'll make room for you. All players are invited to play no matter what your skill level. And to top it all off it's free admission. Donations will be appreciated to defray the rent of the hall and the remainder of the funds that are collected will be donated to the Wounded Warriors Family Center at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio. Rent of the hall is 50.00 for our jam session but we can go longer for the same money if we have lots of music and fun.
Mark Moseley

jam

Post by Mark Moseley »

Looking forward to seeing everyone and playing some music.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

I'll be there... looking forward to seeing all my friends. And jamming, of course!
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Joe Rouse

Post by Joe Rouse »

It's always a pleasure seeing Mark and Stephen anywhere. Two fine gentlemen and they love the steel guitar but mainly non pedal. And they do play well...see you there....jr
Joe Rouse

Post by Joe Rouse »

T-T-T
Joe Rouse

Post by Joe Rouse »

We had a really good jam session Sunday, April 6 at the William P. Randolph American Legion Post #593 in Converse, Tx. We had 7 steel guitars on the playing field and they all made music. We had Mike Ester, Mark Moseley, Stephen Cowell, Roger Edgington, myself, Dean Vallery, and David Halverson. Our band was made up of Kenny Piper on fiddle and guitar and vocals, Ben Price on guitar and vocals, Mark Moseley on guitar and non-pedal steel, Buddy Lee on drums, and Jim Cleckler on bass. The band did a great job and we even had twin fiddles plus 1 playing Faded Love with Roger Edgington and Mike Ester playing along. We had a great time and appreciate all of the players and audience for coming out. Thank You to the American Legion for the facility and the great cheeseburgers and Brat dogs they put out. I will brag a little on myself. Since I passed the torch of leadership the co-chairmen and band leader presented me a plaque for my "Service and Dedication" to San Antonio Steel Guitar Assoc. I can't "Thank You" enough. It's been my pleasure. I know the Assoc. is in good hands and I will still be around to help when needed. Once again those that were not able to come out missed a lot of fun and good country music....jr