Guitar Values

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Frank Sprague

Guitar Values

Post by Frank Sprague »

What is a good reference for determining the fair , approximate value of a guitar ? ? Thx.
The only things in life I truly hate - fleas , fruit flies , and building furniture
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

VINTAGE GUITAR Magazine publishes an annual price guide (about $30) and there are annual Blue Books (S..J. Fjestad, editor or publisher) for acoustics and electrics published annually.

(Since you posted this under Other Instruments, I assume you're not looking for steel guitar information. That is not the specialty of these guides, although they try. The SGF is a better resource for most things steel. That said, I did my best in contributing entries to the Blue Book on Weissenborn and Knutsen Hawaiians a few years back.)
"Gopher, Everett?"
Dave St-Pierre

guitar values

Post by Dave St-Pierre »

While the guide is a good measure, it is not 100 percent. Check the sold listings on the same guitar (if possible) on ebay. While it is also not 100 percent, it at least shows what people paid for the guitar.
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Dave, you have to be careful with those eBay numbers, since MF, GC, music123, and some other stores use eBay as an outlet for unsold items. All that being said, ebay IS a good way to get an average. Reverb is looking good, too.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

You can also check Gbase.com for what the retail shops are getting(or hoping to). :lol:
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Only my opinion, but just for the record I think guitar values these days are completely out of this world. :\