"Modern" vs, "traditional" sounding resos

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Dan Beller-McKenna

"Modern" vs, "traditional" sounding resos

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

I currently play a 1973 Dobro brand resonator that has a sweet tone. Enough volume for the situations I play in but not particularly loud. For lack of knowledge and sophistication I would label this instrument's sound "traditional."

I am looking to pick up a second instrument with more volume and "growl" (to use the cliche term). With equal lack of smarts, I would call this sound "modern." What current makers/builders' guitars might tend toward the louder growlier sound? I have played very few resos, so I have little basis for comparisons.

I know exactly what I mean when I talk about PSG, but feel like a rank beginner in describing what I hear and imagine wanting to hear on a reso.

Thanks,

Dan
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

That's a darn good question, Dan. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe part of that sound comes from the construction (older resos usually have soundwells, "modern" ones often, but not always, have sound posts).

Scheerhorn is kind of the standard of the "modern" sound -- a lot of that is because Jerry Douglas played one for so long. Beard, now JD's choice, is frequently associated with that modern tone -- Mike Auldridge played a signature Beard, and I always heard his tone as being somewhere between modern and traditional).

I have a Redline Resophonic, which to me has that modern tone, and there are plenty of other makers.

Of course, as always, the player makes the biggest difference, in terms of bar control, damping, attack and sustain, which may be the biggest influence on the overall modern-ness.

You might want to visit the Reso Hangout forum or ResoNation (which requires a small membership fee to fully view the forum) -- you'll learn about a lot of brands (Guernsey, Meredith, McKenna, Appalachian, etc.) that you might not otherwise hear about.
James Hartman

Post by James Hartman »

Probably well outside the realm of what you're looking for, but I have a metal body Dobro ('74 ?) which has plenty of "volume and growl". Less Dobro than National Style O in character.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Depending on your budget, I'd look at some of the current luthiers whose guitars have that more modern tone. The new National Scheerhorn guitars certainly qualify, as do the excellent guitars made by Paul Beard and his team.

How much do you want to spend?
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

The Gold Tone Beard seems to have a lot of volume compared to other moderately priced dobros I've tried. They sell for about $750. There are some demo videos of it on YouTube.
Dan Beller-McKenna

I'm probably looking in the $1000-$1250 range, so some of the new makers guitars are mostly out of my range, but their lower end models might be affordable on the used market.

If I am understanding correctly from some of the comments: the presence or lack of a sound well is key to volume vs. sweetness, yes?
Dan
Greg Booth

Post by Greg Booth »

The modern dobros have a larger body and open construction with no soundwell which allows the guitar body to contribute more to the sound. This will generally mean more bass than the traditional smaller body dobros. The soundwell focuses the tone more on the metallic cone component. I don't think you can say that the soundwell decreases volume though, that's a function of many key parts working together like the cone and spider, the string height, neck angle, the body size and the overall quality of construction. A large body modern dobro definitely worth considering in your price range is the Appalachian by Tom Warner. I played one once in a workshop that was very much like my Scheerhorn.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

The soundwell vrs posts is probably the biggest factor. The second would be modern cone and a good set-up. Good luck, you've got some great options in your price range.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, folks. Very helpful!
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

If skillfully built, there can be no lack of volume from a soundwell guitar, but a lot of it seems to be effected by body size. The old Dobros just aren't as deep.

I've been wanting to try out an Appalachian from Tom Warner, but have yet to see one in person. A guy in my general neck of the woods in the Bay Area just took delivery on one, want to try to get together with him at some point.

Another good value are Deneve resonators from upstate New York, though a couple I have tried in the past just haven't done it for me. Also check out the guitars from the guy who shares your last name, Gregg McKenna.

The least expensive Red Line I think is a great value from the couple I've tried and they fit easily into your budget.

The most exciting thing in the dobro world in the past several months are the Scheerhorns built at National or as I like to refer to them, Nati-horns. If you could up your budget to $2600 and go for the mahogany, it might be the last dobro you'll ever need. But there's no accounting for GAS and how it works on a guy. :wink:

The redesigned in the past couple years Beard Vintage R is a very good instrument, these go for $2K.

Speaking of National, I played for about a half hour awhile back their newish Smith & Young Model 11. Very loud guitar, really projects. No one in the store I was at was a dobro player, so the guitar hadn't been tried much up to that point, and they were amazed by the volume when they heard me giving it the test drive. Made of laminate maple, might not have the complexity of tone of Greg Booth's Scheerhorn or my Clinesmith, which are both made from highly flamed solid maple, but a very nice guitar for around $1800-$1900.

http://spidercone.com/

And finally, the growl is inherent in the guitar itself, but to extract it, it has to come from the hands. Josh Graves was the first guy to put the growl on the map, and he did it with a pre-war Dobro.
Mark
Rick Langdon

Post by Rick Langdon »

Greg Booth mentioned an Appalachian ... if you are interested in the sound of these Reso's, in my sig you will see a link to a basic demo I recorded with an Appalachian ...
-- Rick

Featured demo (played on Appalachian Reso): https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon/als-workshop

-- Play on!!
Dan Beller-McKenna

Very nice, Rick! Sounds like a nice Axe--played nicely too.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Anyone have an opinion of the Tut Taylor Virginian?

Dan
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I really like my Tennessean, made by the same people (Crafters of Tennessee, Tut Taylor's sons). It has more of the old style sound in my opinion. The Virginians I've played have the same sort of sound, so if you're looking for a more modern sound, this probably wouldn't fit the bill.

I've seen a couple of them for sale on eBay and elsewhere with no takers recently. I think they're a great guitar, but because they are no longer made and aren't played by someone famous, people don't have any experience with them.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars