New Nashville 112 any improvements over older ones?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Fred Utt

New Nashville 112 any improvements over older ones?

Post by Fred Utt »

I was thinking about buying a new Nashville 112 and wondering if they have made any improvements over the 10 or so years it has been out. Do they use the better chips now? Are they not as noisey as they used to be. Right now I'm using a Peavey 130 special
with a Eminence steel guitar speaker and it sounds pretty good. Will a new 112 be even better?
Any response would be great. Thanks, Fred
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

The N112 is 80 watts while your Special 130 is 130 watts. So you won't get as much volume out of a N112. If you like the sound you're getting from the 130, I say keep it. It's a fine little amp and can put out plenty of sound for most situations.

You can always change to a different speaker, or install Ken Fox's OPA2134 chips in it, to improve the tonality...if you think it needs it.
Best regards,
Mike
Fred Utt

Post by Fred Utt »

Mike,
Thanks for your response. I actually have already updated the chips and caps in my 130 and have an Eminence steel guitar speaker installed. The only problem I have is very little usable tone adjustment.
I have a Digitec processor with built in Volume pedal and use the EQ on the processor to boost the lows. Then I tweek the midshift on the amp to get sound that everyone wants. I get the growl but when using the processor I lose clarity and separation.
I just wanted to know if the 112 has enough low end and tone adjustment by it's self that I wouldn't need to run it through a separate EQ.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The Nashville 112 is rated at 80 watts, but its a "loud" 80 watts.

You will get good low end and should not need an outboard EQ to get more low end.

However, some of the floor processors tend to thin out the sound as like your Special 130 amp, they are designed for lead guitar. You need to think steel guitar and go with items better suited to steel guitar, like a volume pedal with a 500K pot. Depending on what effects you use, a delay pedal and the internal reverb in the Nashville 112 is a very good combination.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Fred Utt

Post by Fred Utt »

Jack,
Thanks for your response. I have read other posts that say the 130 sounds as good or better than the
Nashville 112. These were older posts that I searched out. That brings me to my original question.
Has Peavey made any improvements to the 112 since it's introduction about 10 years ago? I know it's all
a matter of opinion as to which sounds the best. But
before I spent $600.00 on a new amp, I want to know
it's gonna be an improvement. I am gonna be in Nashville in a couple of weeks, I'm going to stop in Bobby's store and try one out.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The current production Nashville 112 is the same as the original. There is no reason to change something that "works". The only thing, its been reported that the newer Nashville 112's have the preamp IC's soldered directly to the circuit board, where the older/original models had IC sockets for the preamp op amp IC's.

Consider that the majority of Steeler's that are using Peavey amps for steel guitar are using Peavey amps designed for steel guitar, not "guitar" amps. Mike Brown (Peavey) commented one time that the "voicing" (EQ/response) was different for steel guitar amps and lead guitar amps. Same way with the speakers.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I think before I'd add a 112, I'd get an old LTD with a neo in it. Bigger better tone than the 112, and about the same weight.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I had a Session 400 LTD, that I bought at Quiqley's Music in Kansas City, Mo (now closed). I hated it and had a hard time selling it.
Fred Utt

Post by Fred Utt »

Thanks for all that replied. I also had some personal messages saying that I should consider a Roland Cube XL 80. They are saying it is much better than the Peavey 112 and only $400.00 I have a lot to think about. Thanks
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

Fred, this is just my opinion. I have owned a Special 130, I currently own a Roland 80x, 2 NV 112's, a NV 400, Session 400, LTD 400 and 2 GK MB 200's. More opinion; the 130 and the Roland are at the bottom of my list of amps I want to play through. The NV 400 is good, The Session 400 is good, the LTD 400 is good, the Nashville 112's are very good, and I like the GK MB 200 the best. They are also the smallest and lightest, and don't cost that much. Just my take on this.
Fred Utt

Post by Fred Utt »

Bill,
Thanks for your input. It sounds like you have tried them all. I was not aware of the GK amps. I have a processor and a good speaker, this amp might be all I need.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I'm using a GK MB200 with an Eminence EPS-15C speaker. The Eminence speaker is designed to be a steel guitar speaker.

I still do not think that the Digitech "guitar" processor with volume pedal is doing you any favors.
Fred Utt

Post by Fred Utt »

Jack,
I like the processor for reverb and other effects when I need them and the volume pedal works fine for me. The only problem was having to use the EQ on the processor which seemed to kill separation. If the GK has good bass response then I won't need to use the EQ. Again thanks for your input.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Obviously I can't convince you to try a "real" steel guitar volume pedal. You may not need a new amp, just the effects processor/volume pedal may be what is "sucking" your tone. Since you are going to Nashville (Bobbe Seymour's), take your steel and connect it to a volume pedal and amp there and see how it sounds.

I used to work as an amp tech (in Nashville) and I've seen a lot of cases of someone complaining about tone from an amp and it turned out not to be the amp but something they had between the guitar and amp causing the problems.
Carl Kilmer

Post by Carl Kilmer »

Hi Fred. I use a Nashville-112 all the time and love it.
It's the one with the chips in sockets. I tried the new
I.C. chips, but liked the old ones better. It has plenty
of bass and a nice clean sound. I only set the bass at
1-2 o'clock and use the Boss RV-3 for reverb & delay. :D
You can usually find a very good one right here on the
forum at a price that'll save you lot's of $$$ over new.
Carl "Lucky" Kilmer
aka "Lucky Kay"--Custom built Rittenberry SD10 3X5, Walker S/S, NV-112, and Hilton Pedal
Fred Utt

Post by Fred Utt »

Jack and Carl,
Thanks for your responses. It looks like using a GK or a 112 is a toss up. My effects pedal is still in question. I can say that I have never had a real steel volume pedal so I might try one out at Bobby's
when I go down there. I do like the simplicity of using my all in one Digitech because I play lead guitar as well all thru the same amp and I just change presets to make this work. Like everybody else
I want to get the best sound possible but still carry the least amount of equipment.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

What works good or great for lead guitar, many times does not for steel. Its a compromise with those types of devices. e.g. I've tried some stomp box effect units that take some of the "body" (bass) out of the guitar signal, even in bypass. Others, do not change the tone. I've tried 4 different (new) RV3's and all of them changed the tone slightly (I have a friend that tried several RV3's and came to the same conclusion). I have a DD5 and an RV7 and they do change the tone.

I have a POD X3 that I use (for effects only, no amp modeling) and it does not change the tone of my guitar. I tried a new POD HD model and it takes some body out of the steel tone - if I were using guitar with distortion it would not be noticed but with a "clean" signal it is very apparent.