Sticky lower finger

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Hummel

Sticky lower finger

Post by Michael Hummel »

I sat down to practice yesterday and couldn't figure out why the 5th string raises on A and C pedals wouldn't tune properly. It was either really flat or really sharp.

After a minute of head-scratching, I turned the guitar over and watched the changer. As the pedal was depressed, the lower finger came out along with the raise finger. Sometimes during the pedal travel, the lower finger would "click" back into the neutral position.

After a generous lubrication, things seem to be much more smooth and the problem hasn't re-occurred since.

Is this common? Do I need to lube more often? Take something apart and clean the gunk out? Does this indicate a worn changer that needs an overhaul? I kind of dread the thought of taking the changer apart myself.

I can't afford a new guitar just now so I guess I need to keep the old Bud in decent playing condition for a while.

Mike
MSA Classic 5+4
Too many 6-strings and amps to list
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Michael, on my Zum, I regard raise and lower fingers sticking as the sign that I shoulda oiled it last month, and usually once a year is sufficient. My other guitars I've not had long enough to need reoiling.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Glen Balm

Post by Glen Balm »

On my Bud all the cams had grooves in them made by the "nose" of the lower finger which was causing the sticking problem, replaced all cams and put bearing
on the offending parts
Glen
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

naw...it's a common problem. little bit of lube and tighten the lower return spring slightly.
Michael Hummel

Post by Michael Hummel »

Thanks to all for the replies. I'm going to try a little light cleaning and a good lube job.

Mike
MSA Classic 5+4
Too many 6-strings and amps to list
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Glen Balm; speaks the TRUTH..about it.
Any Shobud that has the top piece that you hook the string on in a groove and NOT a pin; has this potential problem...and the wear is more on the pedals and knee levers used the most through the years. All that extra oil;lube is doing is maybe clearing a little grit out of that groove; only to grit up again...but the groove will always be there. On strings that only Raise; you can keep tightening up the lower return spring; more and more through the years but eventually needs to be replaced; fixed; bandaged...ha...or more.

Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com